What is Health Information Technology? [Simple Summary]

So one of the very common questions
about health information technology, or HIT, is “Exactly what is it? What do
they do?” And so a health information technician is first and foremost an
advocate of patient data. They are the experts at protecting the privacy and
security of patient information, so they will usually work in a healthcare
setting where there are medical records. So they are responsible for ensuring that the patient’s healthcare data is secure and private. To become a health information technician you must first graduate from a CAHIIM-accredited,
two-year AS degree program, and then you must pass a certification exam that’s
titled the RHIT, which stands for a registered health information technician. Some of the common health information
job duties include data analysis and reporting. This individual would be an
expert in analyzing the healthcare data and generating reports for the
healthcare facility, so they would look at trends in a particular area and help
the hospital to understand what’s going on with the patients that
they’re seeing at that facility. Another area is release of information. This
person would be an expert in understanding what type and how much
patient data should be released upon request. Other areas include medical
coding. Some health information technicians go on to be medical coders.
They had — at the Rasmussen program, there’s four medical coding courses
within the curriculum, so they are very well equipped to be medical coders once
they graduate.

1. Tea Tea

October 4, 2012 at 5:52 am

The background music is a little bit too loud, in my opinion, but this is a great video. Thank you.

2. selma arapovic

January 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Im going to school for this now. Does any one do this as a job? Is it a good job and a good career

3. Robert Andersen

June 28, 2013 at 4:36 pm

thank you? for the video, i make like $50 a day with ONLINEJOBSFROMHOME.UPHERO.COM

4. Vernese . Mohammed

July 9, 2013 at 11:25 pm

well I'm going to school at hostos community college right here in Bronx, NY. They have a career program that offers a free 6 months course in H.I.T. At the end, I take something called the hit pro exam to get me employed right away. So basically i'm also tryna get a job in this field too. It pay btwn $20,000 and $30,000 range per year. It's a good paying job. After a couple of years, I will become a Health Information Manager..

5. selma arapovic

July 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I was thinking to do a 4 year maybe and become Rhia hopefully they pay good and there are a lot of jobs, but I guess im not quite sure yet!

6. Sonya Williams

September 2, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I am definitely going back to school for
    Health information technology courses
    and get my degree.

7. Abdulrahman AL_Kiyumi

April 17, 2016 at 5:47 pm

dont read just tell us your f….. information

8. lovepinkprincess24

October 25, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Don't go to this college for this program. Just look at the courses you have to take for an AAS for R. College compared to community colleges. For this program in particular, this college is a rip off. DO YOUT RESEARCH