The Story of George, The Monk | Knowledge Over Worship | Sh. Yasir Qadhi

Knowledge Over Worship (The Story of George, The Monk) – Yasir Qadhi Very beautiful narration, very beautiful incident that
happened many thousands of years ago, involving a Christian monk by the name of Jurayj. George as we say in our times,
but Jurayj the classical name. This Christian monk as was the custom of the monks of old
had cut himself off from society and would worship Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) constantly. And they would cut themselves off from this world: wear the worst of garments,
cut themselves off from any enjoyments and pleasures. It’s so happened that his mother who was an old lady
needed him for some chore, for some help in her house. So she came to this monastery. She could not enter the monastery because the fiqh of the previous nation
before Islam did not allow women to enter the holy place. So the mother of Jurayj called out and she said, “O Jurayj, I need your help! Come to me!” Jurayj was right at that time praying. He thought to himself, “O Allah, should I prefer my salah
and continue or should I respond to the call of my mother?” Jurayj continued in his salah and ignored his mother. The second day his mother came again. Once again he was standing in prayer. Once again he said,
“O Allah, should I choose my mother over my prayer?” “I’ll choose my prayer.” Thinking that this is piety and righteousness. For the third time, the same incident happened,
Jurayj once again continued in the salah and neglected his mother. And his mother then became enraged. Three days in a row. She wants help from her only son. He’s not coming out to help. And so in that anger, she makes a dua against her son. And as you know, the dua of the parents for
and against their children is accepted. So she said, “O Allah, make sure Jurayj never dies
until he sees the faces of prostitute.” Meaning, make his reputation go to nothing,
allow him to be seen with prostitutes. In her anger this is what she said. Allah (عَزَّ وَ جَلَّى) responded to her dua. And this is one of the beauties of this incidents
and also saved Jurayj reputation at the same time. So a prostitute offered herself to Jurayj. And Jurayj ignored and neglected her. So in her anger, she went to the townspeople and said, “Do you want me to seduce Jurayj
and get him into trouble?” And they said, “Yes.” So she plotted and planned
but Jurayj remained immune to her temptations. When she could not find a way to Jurayj,
she got pregnant with another man, a shepherd, a farmer. And she then claimed to the townspeople,
“This is the child of Jurayj.” So the townspeople got so angry. Even though they were the ones.
This is the way how people are, ‘audzubillah. They want to see some action.
They were the ones who enticed the prostitute. And when the prostitute successful,
they now take their anger out to Jurayj. And so they went to his monastery. And they broke it down. And they destroyed it. And they started beating him with shoes and sticks. And stoning him, saying, “How could you do this, Jurayj?” Jurayj said, “What? What did I do?” They said, “This prostitute
has accused you of fathering her child.” And so Jurayj immediately remembered
the dua of his mother. And he said, “This is the dua of my mother
happening in front of my eyes. I have been accused of doing this immoral deed.” He said, “Allow me to pray 2 rakaat.” So he prayed 2 rakaat
and then he poked the baby and said, “Speak! Who is your father?” And so the child, one of the few babies ever to speak
in the history of mankind, the child said, “My father is the shepherd.” And so when the people saw this, they apologized to Jurayj
and they saw that a miracle that occurred. And they say, “We will rebuild the monastery
with gold and silver.” “No. Build it with mud and sand as it was. And let me continue in my worship.” Even though Allah (عَزَّ وَ جَلَّى) accepted the dua of his mother,
He also saved Jurayj’s reputation in the end. Both come out victors if you like. But the point that
I wanted to really emphasize here, in one narration of this hadith, the Prophet (ﷺ) said, (رحم الله جريجا، لو كان فقيها، لا اجاب امّه) “May Allah have mercy on Jurayj. If only he had been a faqih, if only he had knowledge, he would have responded to his mother instead of continuing in the prayer.” He would have saved himself all of the hassle if only he had knowledge. And this is one of those ahadith.
There are many others. One of those ahadith that
proves beyond a shadow of a doubt. That the knowledgeable scholar far exceeds
the status of a continual worshiper. Here is Jurayj, fasting, praying, reading, dhikr,
cut off from the world, but in his worship he didn’t have knowledge. And that was to his detriment at the end of the day. Even though because of his worship,
Allah (عَزَّ وَ جَلَّى) saved him from those evils. Yet another indication of the superiority of knowledge
over acts of worship, even though acts of worship are of course
blessed and holy, but of the holiest act of worship
after the faraid is knowledge.

1. ADiB KhAN

March 8, 2019 at 4:00 pm

1st. MashAllAh doing great work

2. Sabka Malik Ek

March 8, 2019 at 4:02 pm

1st 😊 please make a video on 'knowledge'. Which knowledge islam encourages to seek. People are so confused. And how much knowledge one should seek and when one decide to earn rather than seeking more knowledge.

3. 786 inspirations

March 8, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Assalamoalikum
    I m 1st one.🤗🤗🤗🤗

4. Mohd Alsumaim

March 8, 2019 at 4:05 pm

2nd

5. fi su

March 8, 2019 at 4:06 pm

Thank you FQE!!Ur videos helped me a lot to become a better Muslim n I started taking my Deen srsly..As a born Muslim I was always ignorant n lazy abt my Deen n Aqirah..I came across ur videos one day in 2017 n decided to change myself.Alhamdulillah am trying my best to not miss even a single prayer n learn Arabic to understand Qur'an.May b it was from Allah to show me the right path..Thank u so so much FQE..May Allah make you successfull in Dunya and Aaqirah..I don't hv enough words to thank you guys..Jazakallahu Qairan!!

6. Suraiya Meem

March 8, 2019 at 4:09 pm

May Allah(swt) bless us with good knowledge !!

7. Sabka Malik Ek

March 8, 2019 at 4:09 pm

One confusion is from where to start. Which kind of knowledge shall we seek first. I get confused many times in implications of a knowledge at a particular time.

8. Arian Rahman

March 8, 2019 at 4:11 pm

i'm no one to judge but , i think that was really horrible thing to pray , especially for your own son

9. mohamed abdulla

March 8, 2019 at 4:28 pm

Subhanallah 💖

10. Saharul IC

March 8, 2019 at 4:30 pm

Every appreciation is less for you guys, may Allah bless you with proper reward. Ameen

11. ᴋɴɪɢʜᴛ َ

March 8, 2019 at 4:33 pm

جزاكم الله خيراً و بارك فيكم ❤

12. Muhammad MRX

March 8, 2019 at 5:24 pm

PLEASE GIVE IT SUBTITLE INDONESIA😅👍🏻i need it

13. Justin Y's Brother

March 8, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Such a lovely story in Islam 🤗

14. YallaNefhm- يلانفهم

March 9, 2019 at 2:37 am

جزاكم الله كل خير ، وجعل هذا العمل في ميزان حسناتكم ❤

15. Zak On IPad

March 9, 2019 at 7:21 am

make a video about dating

16. Kroposman 230

March 9, 2019 at 4:18 pm

What's the point of worshipping Allah if you don't know how to worship Him properly? It's like piloting a plane without any training…

17. Mariama

March 10, 2019 at 7:29 pm

So was he right or wrong in continuing his prayer despite his mother calling him? Or is the lesson that if he had knowledge he wouldve shortened the prayer as the Prophet Muhammad pbuh did when he would hear a baby cry?

18. umer hameed

March 10, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Subhan Allah great work

19. Júlio Rebelo

March 10, 2019 at 11:01 pm

My dear brothers, I know that you make this animations to spread knowledge but… make pictures of the creatures of the Almighty is a big sin, the ones who use to do pictures of the creatures of Allah in life will have a GREAT punishment in the Day is Resurrection… Please, I only want what is better to you all my brothers please, think about what I have said… Peace be with you all !!!

20. Iftee

March 13, 2019 at 1:20 pm

Dear Brothers and sisters,
    The knowledge that you might acquire must maintain this things:-

1. The knowledge of things that doesn't take you away from Allah Subhanahu Ta'walah's path;

2. That things that can does good to the society;

3. That things that doesn't contain anything Haram or disallowed in Islam;

*etc*( You have to use your own Islamic knowledge to decide furthermore…).

Some examples are:- Fiqh, Hadith, Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Science, IoT, Programming, Computer Science and All Engineering that aren't doing bad to the society, Medical Sciences etc….

Assalamualaikum… May Allah Subhanahu Ta'walah guide us all and show us the right path… Ameen….

21. هناء عارفة

March 15, 2019 at 8:36 am

Assalamualaikum
    I'm sorry but i think there's a little mistake in the arabic spelling of the hadith in 4:26

As far as what i learned, the spelling should be : (لأجاب) and not (لا أجاب). But the translation is correct anyway masyaallah 😊

Jazakumullah khayr to the entire team for all your effort in spreading dawah.

22. kjvffgjjcdd

March 17, 2019 at 4:23 pm

I'm so confused. Can somebody clarify what knowledge is he talking about and how is it related to his mother?

23. DR. STRANGE

March 29, 2019 at 4:21 am

Subhan Allah. MashAllah great content. This changed my way and IA I will listen and always respond to my mother.
    😊

24. Naqi Zariz

March 30, 2019 at 8:12 am

Did he learned from his mistake?

25. Hendrik Yunus Soekar jampaja

April 2, 2019 at 5:53 am

Klopt. Je kan niet elke dag de hele dag in de moskeeën blijven of afzonderen .en je zoekt geen werk enz ..Je niet in de samenleving meedraait naar rechtvaardigheid en vooruitgang door ook een goede Ahlak af te geven. Dit is ook ibadah..

26. Sayeed Mohd

April 2, 2019 at 8:09 am

So confusing

27. safiyyah H

April 5, 2019 at 10:43 am

السلام عليكم
    Which pray was he praying, sunnah or fard?

28. Voe

April 12, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Wonderful ilm, mashaAllah. Jazakumullah khairan

29. Al-amin nur Raiyan

May 8, 2019 at 1:57 pm

I love the way u use the arabic letters in faces

30. God Of Theory

May 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm

I'm not an Islam,but this is the best islam channel I know…
    It teaches me many good things,it makes me more calm and peaceful,it makes me not hate islam anymore,and also make me agree with most part of Islam,it helped me to handle things that I don't like people doing,it makes me feel better,because it shows no discrimination,it spreads love and peace to everyone.