The Science of Depression

With over 350 million people affected by depression
worldwide, it’s no doubt an incredibly real and serious issue. But, what exactly is going
on inside of a depressed person? Is there a biological basis for these intense feelings
of sadness? In the past, depression was often described as simply
a ‘chemical imbalance’ in the brain. Specifically, scientists believed that a lack of the neurotransmitter
serotonin was to blame, which is often referred to as the ‘feel good’ chemical. However,
the only real evidence for this was that, when some depressed people were prescribed
drugs which increased serotonin levels, it helped alleviate their symptoms. But while
chemicals most certainly are involved, this view really doesn’t capture just how complex
depression is. In recent years, scientists began to notice that the brain cell growth
and connections may actually play a larger role. When we look at the brain of a depressed person,
studies show that the hippocampus tends to be much smaller than average. Other areas
of the brain are also physically affected, but this region in particular controls memory
and emotion. And the longer a person has been depressed, the smaller the hippocampus becomes.
The cells and networks literally deteriorate. It turns out that stress may actually be a
main trigger in the decrease of new neurons in this area of the brain. In fact, studies
have shown that when this region of the brain is regenerated and new neurons are stimulated,
mood improves. Interestingly, many modern drugs, including those which affect serotonin
levels, have an indirect effect on the growth of brain cells. This is likely why serotonin-based
drugs seem to help some patients – but not for the reasons we once thought. Instead,
they promote the release of other chemicals, which ultimately stimulate neurogenesis, or
the growth of new neurons. Knowing this, some scientists now believe focus should be on
drugs which directly affect neurogenesis. But while your neurons and chemicals may be
the direct influencers, many genetic factors have been discovered as well. One particular
study found that a variation in the serotonin transporter gene leaves individuals more vulnerable
to depression. Every individual has two copies of the gene – one from each parent. And this
gene can either be ‘short’ or ‘long’. After tracking 800 young adults over 5 years,
the studies revealed that 33% of individuals with one short version became depressed after
stressful life events – and people with 2 short genes fared even worse. On the other
hand, those with two ‘long’ genes were much less likely to become depressed with
similar life stress. Many other genes have been identified which increase the likelihood
of depression too. And it makes sense when you consider that depression and bipolar disorder
both run in families. Studies of identical twins show that if one has bipolar disorder,
the other has a 60-80% chance of developing it too. So while the true cause or causes of depression
have yet to be pinned down precisely – and trust us, there is a HUGE list of other variables
that studies suggest may come in to play – it’s important to remember that depression is a
disease with a biological basis, along with psychological and social implications. It’s
not simply a weakness that somebody should ‘get over’, or even something that we
have a say in. And just like heart disease, or cancer, shedding light onto the subject
is of the utmost importance, in order to bring funding and proper research. But, is depression only a human phenomenon?
We look into the question “Do Dogs Get Depressed?” in our latest AsapTHOUGHT video, and discover
the many studies done to understand depression among other species, including your pets at
home. You can click the link in the description for that video. You can also check out the book “Animal
Madness” by Laurel Braitman which touches on the subject – in fact, you can get it for
free from our friends at Audible by going to audible.com/asap. Audible is the leading
provider of audiobooks with over 150,000 downloadable titles across all types of literature. You
can download this audio book or another of your choice, for free, at audible.com/asap.
And with a subscription you get one free book a month! Special thanks Audible for making
these videos possible! If you think you’re suffering from depression,
we have included some resources and more information in the description. And subscribe for more weekly science videos!

1. Sym Cardnel

May 23, 2019 at 7:26 pm

I believe if one listens to this, at least a few times, Understanding and Overcoming Depression | https://youtu.be/NU-Drl2PT5U (skip first 11 minutes!), one will NEVER have to listen / read another motivational / self help 'thing' again. Most will look at this video and say / think 'f' that 'bs' and for years and years will continue to ask themselves… y do I feel like a turd more then I don't. Good luck!

2. Captain Mario

May 24, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Read this : This helped me get out of depression. Hopefully it helps you
    too. I found it on some website but i forgot what it was. I copied it
    and pasted it in my notepad. Now pasting it here:

depression: This is a sensitive topic and here is my take on it.
    When you are depressed you feel sad,lonely,bad and you feel like you
    just want to end it. See, before you self harm yourself, think about
    this: You were a winner. You are a winner. You are still breathing. Just
    take a deep breath and think about your childhood when you had no
    worries, You had the freedom to dream and think whatever you wanted. No
    one said nothing. But, now that very own society is trying to destroy
    you. The people are never satisfied. They get jealous and they want you
    to do more,cry more. So you have two options: You can either give up and
    end this and remain as a loser in the very own cruel society or you can
    let go of it and be a winner and create a beautiful life for yourself.
    You can watch some cute videos,talk to some people online, share your
    worry online and you might find a solution for your problems. If you
    don’t find an answer, keep on searching, but don’t give up. Whenever you
    get a bad thought in your mind, replace it with two or more positive
    thoughts. Imagine a good future, not a bad one. Rewire your brain to
    think positively. But remember, IF YOU DON’T FIND AN ANSWER, KEEP ON
    SEARCHING. After all there is a solution to every problem and when you
    have a will to
    live a good life there will be a *way*. PRAY daily, Ask GOD for
    forgiveness for your sins and ask him to help you after all he has plans
    to give us hope and not leave us. Deuteronomy 31:6" Be strong and
    courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your
    God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you."
    If you feel like no one loves you or cares for you, You are wrong, God
    still loves you midst of all the bad things you have done. So be
    thankful to him, pray to him and most importantly believe in him. GO TO A
    CHURCH OR A PEACEFUL PLACE AND FILL YOURSELF WITH POSITIVITY. DO GOOD
    DEEDS. BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR LIFE AFTER ALL the probability of you being
    born was 1:4 trillion. SO we are born a winner. So win over depression. F
    it.

3. Captain Mario

May 24, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Read this : This helped me get out of depression. Hopefully it helps you
    too. I found it on some website but i forgot what it was. I copied it
    and pasted it in my notepad. Now pasting it here:

depression: This is a sensitive topic and here is my take on it.
    When you are depressed you feel sad,lonely,bad and you feel like you
    just want to end it. See, before you self harm yourself, think about
    this: You were a winner. You are a winner. You are still breathing. Just
    take a deep breath and think about your childhood when you had no
    worries, You had the freedom to dream and think whatever you wanted. No
    one said nothing. But, now that very own society is trying to destroy
    you. The people are never satisfied. They get jealous and they want you
    to do more,cry more. So you have two options: You can either give up and
    end this and remain as a loser in the very own cruel society or you can
    let go of it and be a winner and create a beautiful life for yourself.
    You can watch some cute videos,talk to some people online, share your
    worry online and you might find a solution for your problems. If you
    don’t find an answer, keep on searching, but don’t give up. Whenever you
    get a bad thought in your mind, replace it with two or more positive
    thoughts. Imagine a good future, not a bad one. Rewire your brain to
    think positively. But remember, IF YOU DON’T FIND AN ANSWER, KEEP ON
    SEARCHING. After all there is a solution to every problem and when you
    have a will to
    live a good life there will be a *way*. PRAY daily, Ask GOD for
    forgiveness for your sins and ask him to help you after all he has plans
    to give us hope and not leave us. Deuteronomy 31:6" Be strong and
    courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your
    God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you."
    If you feel like no one loves you or cares for you, You are wrong, God
    still loves you midst of all the bad things you have done. So be
    thankful to him, pray to him and most importantly believe in him. GO TO A
    CHURCH OR A PEACEFUL PLACE AND FILL YOURSELF WITH POSITIVITY. DO GOOD
    DEEDS. BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR LIFE AFTER ALL the probability of you being
    born was 1:4 trillion. SO we are born a winner. So win over depression. F
    it.

4. GodsBiggest Mistake

May 30, 2019 at 7:58 pm

I just want to be happy :(.

5. Chris Gonzales

June 3, 2019 at 5:59 am

i know this aint related but my antidepressant is pulling and removing my hair from my scalp

6. Rage Jacob

June 3, 2019 at 1:48 pm

im sad right now ಥ╭╮ಥ 1 Like = happy to me and you(˘ ³˘)♥

7. elandd

June 5, 2019 at 8:28 pm

We just need a lot of serotonin and it'll be better

8. Its All Going To be ok Lofi

June 8, 2019 at 5:58 am

I cant keep living like this, the role model left, then she left me, the one who gave me life was stolen, and here i am all alone lost in a dark void until i met her, someone who looks up to me like a little sister her happiness kept me going and gave me a reason to be but now she's gone too and im alone again. Why does this world do this to me, yet the only people i can talk are the suicide hotline, and you random sad people in these comments. I need help.

9. F H97

June 10, 2019 at 9:59 pm

you are depressed but people around you keep telling you " you are so negative" So you become positive infront of them overthinking how to not be a selfish person spreading negative thoughts ..you are dead inside you became numb you can't kill urself bcz of your family's feelings..so many personal issues so many economic issues you hate your body so much that even when dieting you still hear " you gained weight" ..you can't control anger you can't control anything you want to go to a psychologist but you can't afford it! Try not to open up to people cz they end up not understanding or even not listenning ..Yes this is you , i don't who am I to say you but i feel like there are 3 persons inside me ..3 times overthinking ..and you are 22 years old😂 brooo i don't know how to feel or act anymore am drowning day by day but am sure won't last forever like this

10. I'm Metalhead

June 11, 2019 at 6:35 am

Who else is having daily headache and physical pain.I hate it when people say don't be sad it is not about sadness it's about numbness

11. T0xic

June 11, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Interesting

12. Nam_ Jesus

June 12, 2019 at 6:22 am

Lets all be sad together. It's 3 am here and I keep thinking about my past and getting more numb and sad by the minute. You can get through

13. Nam_ Jesus

June 12, 2019 at 6:27 am

I want to erase all trace of my existence, turn into a mermaid and go live in an underwater cave where my only worries is if the waterberries are ripe enough so I can make it into a pie to give to my elderly neighbor turtle or is that too much to ask

14. Nam_ Jesus

June 12, 2019 at 6:29 am

I want to cry but I feel nothing… Like I'm numb. But I also want to cry.

15. Nam_ Jesus

June 12, 2019 at 6:34 am

I just think that I'm not good enough u know? To the point where you try everything to reach your goals but you never do so then you give up and that causes you to hate yourself for it? Or how the whole galaxy is just within your reach but there's a thin glass panel that only allows you to watch the wonders and talents but you aren't really part of it. That you're really only a piece of debris that's ruining the whole view. I miss being young

16. ITS ME BITCH

June 13, 2019 at 7:07 am

I'm not numb anymore I'm confused

17. GachaDevil X

June 13, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I dont like the way what people says when i have depression be happy or be positve or something like that it makes me even more sad because there is nothing for me to be happy im just a weak freak tho…..

18. Official Cricket Highlights

June 14, 2019 at 5:45 pm

So getsetflyscience copied video from u…his is totally same

19. Official Cricket Highlights

June 14, 2019 at 5:45 pm

I think my hippocampus doesn't exist nomore

20. Hello HELLO!!

June 14, 2019 at 11:12 pm

What I feel :
    1. I'm Worthless.
    2. Tired
    3. Nobody loves me or cares for me.
    4. Nothin is going the way I expect or the way it should go.
    5. I'm empty inside.
    6. I feel darkness when I look at myself.
    7. I just wanna sleep and never wake up.

Now my only hope is my mom. She is the only one who could save me from dying.
    :'(
    😢

21. Red

June 15, 2019 at 5:17 am

I honestly don’t know if I’m depressed or not. it switches off and on like, monthly. The worst part is that I’m almost suicidal but not enough to actually finish the job during the sad phase, but then I think things are looking up for me, my grades improve, and I have fun. Then my life starts falling apart again. it’s like I’m floating above a void while all my peers, no matter what I say, can’t hear my pleas and cries of terror

I just smile on the outside, because I don’t want to make a big deal out of myself

Edit: my life is looking up, I feel better. the feelings still lurk In My head though. I really hope it’s not going to come back

22. Thajunnisha Sulaiman

June 17, 2019 at 11:52 pm

Anyone watching this with depression???

23. lord beerus

June 19, 2019 at 7:26 pm

i just wanna sleep..

24. Joey Molitoris

June 20, 2019 at 12:39 am

Jesus loves you

25. Tåmpęręd

June 20, 2019 at 2:29 am

I cry but nothing is wrong

I need answers

26. Queen B

June 21, 2019 at 1:08 pm

This is why I dont wah kids, because I'm afraid of them catching my depression and I know it's hard to loose a child I've learnt it from my mother.

27. louis august

June 22, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Most comments ever about anything on you tube, my laptop went crazy with comments scrolling down

28. Nochance Boy

June 23, 2019 at 1:12 am

Look im overthinking alot and i dont want this negative illness to ruin my life . what do i do?

29. ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ

June 23, 2019 at 5:28 am

My one and only friend: Hey there! How's it?
    Me: I'm fine.
    My brain: No, I'm broken, depressed, sad, suicidal, bruised, stressed, having Anxiety, numb, dead, crying, bloody, tired, cut,….And I feel like crap..

30. Maria Monica Camille Laraño

June 23, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Comments are so relatable… Why????

31. Pig Ster

June 24, 2019 at 5:37 am

Being sad isn’t a disorder. Being numb is a disorder

32. Dreddy G.

June 25, 2019 at 10:08 am

"I'm ok, just tired."

33. Stony Tark

June 29, 2019 at 11:20 pm

not wanting to have anything to do with people (including my own family) has alot to do with my depression. how could i hate social interaction but want it so bad at the same time? being alone was cool when i was younger. now, everyday i fight against anxiety to keep myself from losing my mind. but what can i do talk to people? thats not even possible at this point

34. Brian Lile

June 30, 2019 at 4:39 am

I am so alone. No one hears me, or no one cares. No one understands. Everyone leaves me. I'm unlovable. Sometimes I feel too much. Sometimes I don't feel at all. When I'm gone no one will miss me. No one will remember. I can't imagine anything getting better anymore. No one wants to hear me. No one cares. Neither do I anymore. I just want this to end. It has to end.

35. HelloThereHuman

July 5, 2019 at 6:28 am

I don’t wanna be the type of person that says I’m depressed even though I’m not….. I’ve just been crying out of nowhere for no reason or because something little aggravates (I’m also in the middle of puberty so I’m pretty sure it’s just that)

36. Steven Thigpen

July 5, 2019 at 6:36 am

It's way of life for me. I use MDMA to feel something. There are variations of benzodiazapines to help regulate heart rate and control emotion.. only thing that gives me comfort is casual conversation. Especially after the kind of shit I've seen.. Forget relationships.. Normal is a word for ppl that haven't had to fight… I feel dead yet I walk among you. the ability to breathe is something most take for granted, as I forget what that normal breath feels like….. I can only remember red sky.

37. Samrocket132 Fitsjerols

July 6, 2019 at 2:20 am

I'll get better

38. Daniel Sifuentes-Bradford

July 6, 2019 at 7:33 am

I’m sick of people Telling me that I should not be depressed cause I have a full time job and a brand new truck and that a lot of people wish they’d had that stuff cause even though I have that stuff I still feel depressed I was told that nobody will never understand unless their feeling the same exact thing I’m Feeling

39. Andre Zamora

July 6, 2019 at 1:13 pm

My depression feels like
    Im in a dark box
    I am trapped with negative thoughts
    Outside is positivity
    I see a door
    But it is locked
    I see a window
    Yet it is shut
    I see hope
    But I have no faith
    I have nothing to do
    But let the darkness pull me inside
    And sit
    And cry
    And wish that someday
    I will be free……

40. Its Bru

July 6, 2019 at 2:20 pm

I don’t feel like anyone likes me, my own friends said it’d be embarrassing if they brought me to a party. My friends aren’t even like that, that’s why it hit me hard.

41. Sana Mittal

July 8, 2019 at 6:20 am

I just want to go to sleep and never wake up

42. Mitchell Muskovin

July 8, 2019 at 8:30 pm

I’ve only been dealing with it for a few months and it’s torture! I don’t understand how some of you can go years with depression unless. Mine must be worse I guess everyone is different. But I literally can’t function it sucks! I just want to feel normal again

43. Dhruvit

July 9, 2019 at 5:26 pm

please The science of Anhedonia

44. Rishi

July 10, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Normal and happy people always are curious about depression, that what is depression, why depressed people always behave like dramatic. But the reality about depression is, depression is like a black hole, who grasp everything, even positive thoughts. But in the last what remains is the hope, which is immortal…… Hope…. &….. Hope

45. twenty øne chemical fall out dragons at the disco

July 11, 2019 at 8:31 pm

I plan on ending my life in 16 days.

46. Ecstacy Ellymate

July 11, 2019 at 9:46 pm

People say depression will just pass away that it’s fleeting feeling but, why do I feel empty inside? I do pray everyday, I eat healthy and I try to be positive as much as i could. Still, there are nights when I felt hopeless, empty, sad, thinking deeply the reason and how i will continue my existence if my parents will pass away from this world. It’s like I’m programmed to do the things in this world study work and survive till you can and what’s after? I was born from a happy family and surrounded with great people but, why do i wish had i never been born? If only i could easily donate my life to someone who needs it badly I would willingly and gladly offer my life. 😔

Yes, I frequently experience suicidal thoughts and talking it to a professional wont even help me. They wont be able to understand me no one would. I’m afraid to kill myself because I don’t want to be punished by God for taking my life 😞

47. Sofahexafluoride

July 12, 2019 at 6:35 am

Anyone watching this with depression

48. Feodoric

July 12, 2019 at 9:01 am

I'll sound insensitive, but depression is really easy to avoid if you're at least half mature

49. Tiko3 xo

July 16, 2019 at 11:54 pm

I wanna die but I'm afraid of death.

50. Abhimanyu Vijayan

July 17, 2019 at 9:52 am

The upbringing of a child can also cause a child to grow up into a depressed adult. A child growing up under parents who's style of parenting is improper or abusive can cause the child emotional trauma, making them depressed or damaged individuals upon reaching adulthood.

51. Shane Strickland

July 18, 2019 at 9:41 pm

The science of depression is bullshit.
    People get depressed because people have sad shit happen in their life.

All being depressed mean's is overwelming sadness.

Not to mention antidepressants and antipsychotics in the long run cause tardive disconeshea which is brain damage resulting in involuntary twitching.

52. v_xi20 20

July 19, 2019 at 10:04 pm

I want my suffering to end and I want to kill my pain. Kill my void. I hate breathing. I cant handle knowing that I will be alive tommorow. Although all I think about constantly is my own death, I just cant pull the strenght together to end my life. I am to scared of the physical pain and that I wont succeed at killing myself. I want to kill my mind. I want to feel and be nothing. Never have to love or feel anything at all. I want to stop suffering every single minute of every single day. It is torture. And honestly I see the beauty and love this world has to offer. But all that is just tempory. The only think persistant throughout your life is pain. Pain never leaves. So I dont want to live in this imperfect world. Everything and everyone no matter how full of love and happines will or has caused pain. I dont need your Imperfection. I just want to die in my sleep while dreaming of a perfect world

53. Moj I

July 19, 2019 at 11:52 pm

I’m so depressed that whatever happens or potentially could happen makes me sad and lose my appetite

54. Celeste S.

July 21, 2019 at 9:17 am

I’ve been depressed since I was a child. I have a really terrible memory. I’ve gotten used to it tbh. I don’t know what it’s like to be happy. When I’m alone, I just cry for no reason. But I have a job, I support myself and I have friends though most don’t know what I’m going through. People seem to like me but ultimately I just want to be left alone and sleep all the time. I feel exhausted when I go out and socialise. The older I get, the less debilitating it is but I don’t think I’ll ever know what it’s like to be happy.

55. Swse Swse

July 22, 2019 at 12:38 am

Depression: hi
    Me: no thanks
    Depression: I insist
    Me: …shit

56. I Speak Facts

July 22, 2019 at 4:11 am

I never admitted i had depression for so long to the fact i thought i didnt and that i was just being over dramatic. But reality is, everyday feels the same i dont feel happy im constantly complaining ab the insecurities i have. My memory and emotions have gone to absolute shit. I cant remember anything i physically need to write it down to remember. All my school years, everyone says i show no emotions and expressions when i dont even realize it. I think life is perfectly fine but my mental health is truly deteriorating each day.

57. Idk What

July 22, 2019 at 11:27 am

I don't want to die, I want to disappear to a pocket dimension where I can stop aging and have a big time out from living in this society.

58. derpmexican 9000

July 22, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Depressed? Clair de lune!

59. It’s Britney Bitch

July 23, 2019 at 1:00 am

I just want to sleep then I can live in a life where I feel something

60. Carlos A.

July 24, 2019 at 6:24 pm

It's depressing that I cant stay sad for more than a couple minutes. I hate that everything can be labeled good or bad depending on how u look at it. It makes me sad that I quickly adapt or easily find the good/beneficial side to anything before fully analyzing the lesson that the pain or failure taught. Its overwhelming to know that a lie has the power to change your mood just as much as truth. Or how many people dont know we are goal oriented, even small tiny goals/habits such as a walking around the block or some good ol' exercise/errands can leave you with a feeling of accomplishment. Cringey how some people think there's nothing in the world they like although they haven't tried or explored much at all. Man it sucks to feel great 🙁 haha

61. Izuku Midoriya

July 27, 2019 at 4:57 am

I remember the first fuckin day of this nightmare…i was 8 and sitting in my room…my mom was on drugs and I hadn't seen her for almost an entire year… I felt an over whelming sadness… I didn't want to eat… all I want to do is sleep… I'm now 12 years old… I still feel this feelings I still want to die…

62. Sarah Lovelace

July 27, 2019 at 5:31 am

He who gainith wisdom, gainith sorrow as vice versa

63. why not

July 27, 2019 at 3:42 pm

Depression is a tourture suffering from it every single day…its not.a phase its an on going battle with your brain. U have to maintain yourself to not fall into it and its no fun cause its frustrating to work that hard on something that complicated its an awful awful thing..

64. grace loves hamsters

July 28, 2019 at 12:27 am

I feel like crying but i just cant express my feelings…

65. Prince Oreo

July 29, 2019 at 8:40 am

When u realize random strangers in this comment section are more helpful and nice to u than fam and friends

66. Sky Cloudd

July 29, 2019 at 8:04 pm

That fake middle school girl thinks she's "depressed" from watching vids like this.

67. Alex B

July 30, 2019 at 1:32 am

The best antidepressant is psilocybin

68. Francisco Lopez

July 31, 2019 at 11:18 pm

For past four days I been crying because life is going by fast and I’m getting older fast and Ik my parents will go before me and I will go eventually 😭😭😭😭

69. A Patt

August 1, 2019 at 12:41 am

There is another trigger life.

70. xCloudTea ROBLOX

August 2, 2019 at 9:22 pm

I am not depressed , at least I don’t think i am because I don’t want to self diagnose myself. This is how I’m feeling, life is boring, everything that you can do costs money so all you can do is go to school depressed everyday. This summer I am laying in bed all day and my family think less of me. Everyday feels the same and I feel there is no hope so I just lay in bed all day

71. Joscelynne Miller

August 3, 2019 at 1:44 am

I was diagnosed 5 years ago. Nothing has changed. Actually, everything is worse. No amount of counseling, pills, or hospitalizations have helped. Will it ever change?

72. time traveler

August 3, 2019 at 3:15 am

im depressed, but i dont have depression. just consistently and lightly sad for a few months

73. NiGHFirst

August 4, 2019 at 11:26 am

bro from your guys stories and many more from others, i feel like when im a sad sack, its nothing and that its probably nothing. which makes me more sad(?) idk anymore oh god why did you leave us

74. robloxgamer 01

August 4, 2019 at 2:36 pm

😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟

75. The World As It Is

August 9, 2019 at 7:38 pm

There is absolutely no evidence that SSRIs are antidepressants that treat depression, nor that depression is an illness in any way. This video is a joke. Long-term use of these drugs makes depression chronic and more severe. Taking these drugs leads to depression even if you are not depressed to begin with. Interrupting depression with brute chemical force is irresponsible to say the least. SSRIs also increase the number of suicides overall, they do not prevent them. There is no evidence that bipolar disorder is a distinct medical condition or that it is genetic in nature. The true causes of depression are well known, namely trauma and unmet needs over a long period of time. Sometimes traumatic brain injuries will cause depression due to damage to specific white matter tracts. The infantalizing nature of this video is both irritating and predictable.

76. Kaylee Fell

August 11, 2019 at 6:27 am

A lot of the time, I wish that my mom would have gotten a abortion that way I wouldn’t be here.

77. I couldn’t think of a good username

August 13, 2019 at 2:22 am

Sometimes I just want to stab people who think depression is cool

78. degususaskulusku

August 13, 2019 at 9:50 pm

I have now committed neurogenesis

79. Joshua Belmont Reese

August 13, 2019 at 11:54 pm

"What exactly were you trying to accomplish?"

"I was trying to make a girl fall in love with me"

"Did it work?"

"No"

"So everything was for nothing?"

"Yes"

"Then why are you smiling?"

"Because i just realised something"

"What is it?"

"That life is a pathetic joke that we take way too seriously"

80. Jazmine Hedges

August 15, 2019 at 5:24 am

I'm sitting here watching comments and damn. Each one of you deserve life. Depression is horrible and feels like you are being crushed. But remember my dears. These feelings never last forever and YOU yes you are worth so much. I may not know you but I know what you are feeling/felt it does not get better in a day as we all know. It can take sooo long but you are a survivor and I'm proud of you for combating this demon called depression

81. Ste Dylan

August 16, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Depression ,,would you no what the hell is going through the head of someone that has got depression , you can’t understand what is going to help , they might be smiling but that don’t mean shit everyone is different, depression I only wish it was not me 😢

82. Hugo tiago

August 18, 2019 at 1:10 pm

I suffered from stage 6 depression for 4 years and as I got older I realized depression is not a disease it depends on how you think about it and how much you are willing to let it take over depression only takes you down if you let it and no depression is not an excuse for anything urgent if you feel like it's best to die then I'm sorry but that's not something anyone should feel bad for if you commit suicide all you are doing is making a bad decision in life that I think is stupid depression is hard but not that hard if you do feel suicidal there are other ways to get out of it this is something I find a lot of people forget is that we are human we are going to have our ups and downs that's just part of life it's called getting over it and letting it go

Edit: you also don't need drugs to help you all you need is to keep your head up and tell yourself every now and then that your beautiful or your worth it because you are worth it and you are beautiful just try to keep a positive attitude towards life. If you let your sadness take over and you don't do anything to fix it then of course your not going to experience happiness that's just the way life works

83. olga haugvaldstad

August 20, 2019 at 5:53 pm

I feel forgotten, misunderstood, invisible, misplaced, empty, scared and unloveable.

84. Bluetree 139

August 20, 2019 at 8:27 pm

I don’t want to die but to have never existed.

85. gbo gba

August 22, 2019 at 10:01 am

Read comments below, but in hannah montana voice…

86. hong dinh

August 23, 2019 at 12:26 am

Reality often disappointing….

87. Joe 1

August 23, 2019 at 1:19 am

I wake up every morning feeling annoyed and upset because I’m still here

88. AlϻoŇd Milᴋ

August 23, 2019 at 12:13 pm

You wanna escape,You want help,but nobody trust you,you're tired of feeling this way,you're tired of asking yourself why are you crying,when you're touching your parents hands but can't feel your existence anymore,you don't feel like you exist you live or you even breath,you tried several times to get rid of this but nothing help,once it gone and back again,it's like a demon playing with yourself like a toy and you just can't do anything about it..
    It is when you're truly depressed,being sad and asking for attention is not depression..

89. johnny myers

August 23, 2019 at 11:47 pm

Depression isn’t science it’s a real feeling where you have a trash life

90. Ryan Muthui

August 24, 2019 at 6:08 am

Smoke weed everyday

91. Joe Mommah

August 26, 2019 at 4:40 am

I come to a point where I have no interest in being happy. I'm better off alone, you feel?

92. SaucySeahorse

August 27, 2019 at 2:28 am

I never asked to live, but I did ask to die…

93. NPC

August 28, 2019 at 12:02 am

I think there’s something wrong with me

94. Kreatyv One

August 29, 2019 at 4:14 am

After watching this I got depression

95. Zurab Gagnidze

August 30, 2019 at 8:05 am

Most people are depressed because they are not where they want to be In life .

96. Potahtoe sama

September 1, 2019 at 4:17 pm

So is it the feeling of emptiness when i finish a good anime and don’t know what to do with my life?

97. Commenter -

September 2, 2019 at 2:07 am

Literally sometimes I just want to be in a really vast grassy empty feild and scream my head off. Ever since my parents divorced i just can't handle anything anymore

98. Yuasa Toriyama

September 2, 2019 at 2:42 am

Depressed people dont understand why some people want to have depression.
    Yo it's not cool if you wanna have depression. It feels… So lonely, it's like the entire world is neglecting you.

99. lego_ lego0101

September 2, 2019 at 10:14 am

school is the source of depression