Rating 5 Months of Japanese Language School vs. Self Study (Pimsleur)

HEY GUYS! Welcome to my channel! Our names are Loretta and Boomer! Today is a big day for you Boomer, huh? It’s my LAST DAY of language school! The last day of this Spring semester! Your school started in April but our last video with you was in February and you’ve gotten better since starting school SO! Today I wanted to quiz his Japanese level. SO! Today I wanted to quiz his Japanese level. Afew years ago he tried self-study for 5 months so we can see also if self-study or language school was harder or easier for him but yeah, let’s just start with the quiz! but yeah, let’s just start with the quiz! JAPANESE QUIZ TIME BOYYYY (Oh yeah, we’re doing this again!) Please introduce yourself! but not just any self-introduction I want you to do it as if this were a job or formal interview. *knock knock* Please excuse me. Please come in! Nice to meet you. I’m Boomer. It’s a pleasure. *bow* Wow! You even learned how to excuse yourself politely. Where are you from? What country? I’m from the States! Why did you come to Japan? WHAT’RE YOU DOING IN JAPAN? Um…. Well, a job? I hope to work here.
L: Is that so…… Basic Sentences! Let’s make this a little harder than usual I want to go beyond basic “this is a pen” sentences. For example, let’s talk floor plans. You had homework about floorplans right? Like, to explain your apartment layout. What’s inside of your apartment? You’ve done this before. Even now, I can see something unsual here. What’s that behind your head right now? A shirt? My neck? A chair?
No, look here! What’s that behind you? Your hand?
NO! Omg, come here. Oh, Kirby?
Yeah! See Kirby there? Also, my plant. Please find something of your own and explain— LILY! OK, can you explain what just happened? What just went down? She at ate a tissue. You did?
B: No, Lily did. Lily ate a Tissue and… *SNEEZE* Ughhh, no! What a big sneeze. Sorry, ughhh. Please find something now and explain it. The bed. What else is there? The desk. And a little table.
Yep, the table! Also a chair. What color is it? Red. It’s a red chair. Expressing things you want (to do). What do you want to do over Summer Break? I want to go to Vietnam. To Vietnam, right? What will you do there? Mountains… I want to hike and at the beach I want to swim, too.
Ohhhh, great! I also want to sightsee. Temples and musuemms. Ohh, good job! Can you say it all back? I want to climb mountains swim in the ocean, go to temples and museums for some sightseeing. You used so many different verbs! Do you remember this? Today isssss What is today’s date? Today is April… April… 27th Friday. So close!! What? I said April…(Try again). April? APreeeel? Aprrrl? Count with me, 1,2,3… July July 27th, Friday. OK, so I want to just say something though In my previous video I called the 27th “nijuunana nichi” people commented saying that’s wrong, that’s it’s “nijuushichi nichi” so, I want to explain why I say it that way . Sorry Boomer, this has nothing to do with you but there are people who say “nijushichi-nichi” for 27. There are also people who say nijuunana-nichi. The numbers Ichi (1), Shi (4), Shichi (7), (shichiji) 7-o-clock all sound REALLY similar so a lot of people say “nana” for 7. For example, in companies, the sales guys on the phones will often say nana-ji (7-o-clock) so that you don’t mistake it over the phone. 7-oclock, the 27th, etc. I was trained to do the same so I just want to explain why that is. But anyway, good job Boomer! You’re pretty flawless now so I want to try something harder. Casual forms! Lily ate all of her dog food. If you say that in casual form? “Lily wa atarashii doggufuudo wo zenbu TABETA.” So you can use the short forms of verbs in a lot of useful ways, like casual/slang terms. It really expands what you can talk about. Whaddya do today? Went to school. Ate lunch. Played with Lily. Cleaned the classroom. Filled out a survey. OK, time for Kanji! What is this? Densha?
It’s densha (train!) Great! What’s this? Roppongi (Station). But your pronunciation’s not enough. RopppPPONgi! You have to make the “P” pop. That little skip in there is important. There’s a train beatboxing/imitation competition in Japan actually. (Imitates train on train tracks sound) What am I even doing. “Hantai”? (opposite) Looks kinda similar!
It’s tomodachi (friend) Tomorrow?
It’s tomorrow! I’m just impressed you can read myhandwriting. A company? The CEO!
OK, this is the last one… Bank! Er, no THIS is the last one! Wait, there’s more? Hmm… What do you do everyday? You go to school… and at night you…. open your textbook and…
…kanji? But what are those Kanji? I dunno.
IT’s HOMEWORK! Even your Kanji is perfect! You did so well today!! I’m really impressed! Language schools are pretty good then!

1. Ashley

August 15, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Many public libraries have language learning resources (like Pimsleur CDs) available for free. Don't buy them without checking your local library first!

2. crazykozik

August 31, 2018 at 3:37 am

7はナナでいいよ
    外国人の方もシチと発音しにくいだろうし日本人同士の会話でも聞き間違いがおきやすいからね

3. GummyPop

September 1, 2018 at 11:46 pm

omg that cute doggo….i thought you were referring to boomer that he was a pupper at first

4. Eric Roberts

September 25, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Self studying is perfectly fine for reading and listening. Speaking, you can do either via Skype or at a meetup. There's no need to go to school to learn a language. In fact, most of the people I know who ended up speaking 2-10 languages did it on their own with the help of some friends for conversation purposes.

5. Linda Lee Ann

September 28, 2018 at 1:13 am

I've been studying by myself since March of 2009 in Japanese. I have Master hiragana and Katakana but kanji is is taking me a long time to understand it and I master only in the first grade. I had quiz myself to see if I pass the first grade in kanji. Now I'm in second grade kanji and I'm 30 years old now since April 16th. and I feel like that I'm struggling in money situations ever. Since I bought that Chevy Cruze 2016 LT. I feel like that I chose a car over to Japan Tokyo Language School. now I have to start over. Fresh and I decided to give my car to my mother when I do get a passport from the post office in my area in Omaha,NE then I will go from there I have to travel alone. Because no one want to go with me. I'm lack a friends in Omaha. because they is no-one is to support me but my father. Soon as i save money i will go to language school. And i only have a high school diploma no degree.

6. sh2bn

September 29, 2018 at 4:59 pm

独自だとやはり限度があるからねぇ、どの語学でも語学学校で少しでも習ってきた方が良いと思いますね。
    Self learning has a limit , so if you want to speak and understand more accurately,you’d better to go to the language school.
    of course,even any other languages you do so…

7. liannmirabelle

September 29, 2018 at 8:44 pm

loved this video it helped with learning

8. carlos lima

October 5, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Would Lily be jealous of having a Shibe sibling?

9. Dennis Sy

October 7, 2018 at 4:38 am

凄いですよ。

10. うちはサスケ

October 7, 2018 at 7:14 pm

僕もひとりで日本語を練習していました。先生がいないから、オンラインで簡単と難しいの漢字を探していた。3年前には学校でたくさんの日本人に会いましたが、いつも友達と一緒に毎日に日本語を話してします。漢字とは、時々紙で書きてします。2020年に飛行機で日本に行きたいです。良い日本語の大学の教室を探してつもりです。

私は本当に日本語の先生とは会いたいです。私の日本語はちょっといいですけど、まだまだ頑張ります。

2013年前にから初めて日本語を勉強していた。ちょっと面白そうですね。

11. Hazel Tom

October 7, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Trying to immerse myself in everything Japanese as many of the commentators advise on this video. im teaching myself and it can get lonely. My kitchen radio is now tuned to 'yume no tane'. Now……l haven’t got a clue what i'm listening to but there are an awful lot of ladies that cry a lot. Can any one shed any light on this for me?….its seems disrespectful for me to shout 'Yass!!' and high 5' my cat when l hear a sobbing girl say a word in Japanese that l recognise through tears and snot.

12. paul walther

October 8, 2018 at 3:03 am

That reminds me of myself back when I was taking Japanese 101 at community college after work. Learning Japanese has been super slow and hard. It took me five years to pass the N2. I had a good teacher and classmates which made me want to study and I therefore learned the 1st and 2nd year Japanese grammar very well. But that was only 1 course per semester for 3 semesters (I actually self studied and skipped the first semester). Everything else has been on my own and it involved a lot of Anki and the "Core" deck. If you don't know it, it's basically the same material that's on iknow.jp. I recommend it. It's basically the best self study for Japanese that I have found to increase your vocabulary past the genki books up to 8 or 9000 or whatever it goes up to. But it's no substitute for tadoku. I studied German back in college and just did tons of tadoku and it stuck so well. I haven't found a way to duplicate that with Japanese because the writing system is so difficult. I feel like you're stuck with gimmicky solutions like apps or what not instead of real Japanese because of the damn writing system. That said, Kemushichan's Japanese is so good – I love her pronunciation. I am guessing being a young, smart, friendly, outgoing college student in Japan is the best way to learn Japanese fast. (I don't meet those qualifications so I'm stuck with tadoku and the never ending war against the kanji..)

13. Herr Vorragend

October 8, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Most people make a fatal mistake when they start to learn a language.
    They stress them self and make it hard work through dumb repetition.
    Human brains are not designed to learn under stress. Actually stress will harm learning. To a brain stress is a little like a fight or flight mode.
    Instead watch and learn how to learn from babies. Sounds dumb right? Well, depends. Who's better at learning a language than little kids?
    Babies play with sounds. They will never start with the word "Mother" or "Mom". Instead babies will start with "Momomomom". Close enough but hey, no stress. Ever heard kids pronounce words acurately? I haven't. We still understand them.
    Second most stupid thing we do is learning through repetition. 1st time its exciting. But with the 3rd repetition you'll add somewhat of 1% from compared to the 1st time learing. Don't repeat! Instead try and inspect the new Kanji/Word from every possible angle in your head. Play with it, morph it, touch it, twist it, yell at it, lick it. It's all in your head, so do what ever you want with it. That's how you wire synapses to neurons, that's how you learn.
    And this is why the older you are the easier it can be to learn new things. Your experience defines your fantasy. You'll need it to play with Kanji in your head. Things that kids can not do for lack of fantasy.

And this is why teachers suck balls at teaching language. And why self study (with a couple more tricks) is the only way to work the magic.

Mind you, repetition does work. If you really want to invest supid amounts of energy into it.

14. Rak Usu

October 9, 2018 at 5:52 am

I’m self studying as I do not plan to get any certificates. Just being able to read the novels I love and watch raw animes in advance.

15. ShoRyuSenKei !

October 14, 2018 at 8:54 pm

If you're outside of Japan and wanna have good speaking practice use HelloTalk app it's very good and people actually talk back.

16. Dwene Johnson

October 20, 2018 at 3:05 am

I feel bad about the guy.

17. Mad Panda

October 20, 2018 at 8:30 pm

I really want to learn a new language, so I thought I’d start with the harder ones namely Chinese or Japanese sense I’m young in age 16 to be specific ( I’m leaning more towards Japanese though) I already speak very fluent English(as you can see) and Arabic( namely the Kuwaiti dialect).

So my question is how and where do I start?

Do I learn standard Japanese first, or jump right into one of the dialects ?
    ( in Arabic I’m more fluent in the casual dialect than the standard Arabic because the dialect and the standard-or fosha as its called- are pretty different from each other)

And what dialect is most used and widely understood in Japan and has learning material available?

18. チョコレートマシュマロタチアナ

October 23, 2018 at 2:40 am

I got all the kanji right 😀

Except for two 😎 still proud of myself

19. EK X

October 29, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Who names a human being 'Boomer' ? Is this a sick joke from his parents? That's criminal.

20. Gabriella

November 4, 2018 at 10:38 pm

this makes me want to transfer to university in japan.. i’m in a usa university learning japanese but i feel like i’d benefit more moving there and being immersed? ):

21. Stray Arrows

November 5, 2018 at 9:06 am

Are they married? they're so cute together

22. Daniel Chen

November 11, 2018 at 11:05 pm

hello! i am trying to learn japanese on my own as well. I am wondering if you know of any resources that can help me learn japanese. More specifically, easy japanese coversation videos with english subtitles

23. TetukraBOA

November 14, 2018 at 1:04 pm

I think self study is good because it ranks up determination. Also if your self studying get a Japanese friend to help you retain what you learn by speaking with you. Also get a Kanji Practice list same as how Japanese kids learn Kanji and practice that on down time. surround yourself with it daily

24. MythicGirl2210

November 28, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Which textbook did Boomer say he was using? I didn't catch that (I know it started with a t….)

25. TehCacti

December 22, 2018 at 3:14 pm

He looks like that dog who has Vietnam flashbacks

26. pkuiaso

March 6, 2019 at 5:44 am

Boomer is adorable

27. pkuiaso

March 6, 2019 at 5:53 am

What do you recommend for people in the U.S. Who really want to learn but can’t study abroad? How do you start?

28. A Red Mote

ごめんけど、ブーマー君はメチャクチャハンサムだぜ!

32. Nyssa Tang

July 2, 2019 at 1:40 am

哈哈哈哈我是中国人,小帅哥说的已经不错了,但是语音语调还是要加油哈哈哈哈

33. Shiro Tori

July 4, 2019 at 5:31 pm

love this!! I also have studied Pimsleur on my own for several years, but I agree that its so hard to retain it if you aren't using it as often, or surrounded by it. Living in Japan is my dream, I really love all of your videos. Domo arigato gozaimasu <3

34. Dustin Thebeau

July 12, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Awsome video and props boomer thats great progress in a short time! Ive been self studying for about 6 months mostly Rosetta stone but i feel i forget everything except when im using the app😒 so im plannin to enroll in a class here in tokyo. Any recommendations?? Thanks!

35. Stravo Lukos

July 16, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Pimsleur is great. I liked it more than R_setta. The thing that I get from this vid though is that we have two highly intelligent people here who'd do well no matter what format they used. Find a dumbody from Dumerika & try this experiment. That'd mean much more to normal dummies like mois. My dime's worth (inflation).

36. John N.

July 18, 2019 at 4:38 pm

Bishie Boomer na. Mwuah

37. Hali Brooke Davidson

July 20, 2019 at 6:34 pm

ブーマーはワニカニを使えばいいんじゃないか?

38. BoDiggety

July 23, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Even after studying for 6 months I still have slow down the speed to .75. Anyone else do this?

39. fajoka

September 1, 2019 at 2:19 pm

i learn so much from listening to boomer speaking xD

40. Eliana Fritz

September 9, 2019 at 7:14 am

I was doing the kanji along with the video and I was so proud of myself that I was able to translate some of them before the answers came up!

41. Norate

September 25, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Hello I really want to talk japanese and study by myself. But I Don't know which book is best for self-study learning japanese. Please, can you recommend me some? Thank you so much~

42. Nova Alice

October 5, 2019 at 9:40 pm

LOL i sneezed at the same time as lily