Knowing When To Quit Strategically and Tactically – Jocko Willink

got a section in here called when to
quit again no one wants to hear that no one wants to hear that one of the
mantras and the SEAL Teams has never quit that is one of the main refrains
utilized during seal basic SEAL training and it makes a lot of sense during that
training because that is how you make it through you don’t quit no matter what
training evolution comes along no matter how hard it is no matter how tired sore
frustrated exhausted or otherwise broken you are you don’t quit that is how you
make it through SEAL training and that is how you eventually become a seal but
when you get to the actual SEAL Teams that extreme attitude has to be adjusted
it has to be modulated because if it isn’t it can lead to disaster
the classic example this is a young seal leader who’s made it through the basic
SEAL training and shows up at the seal time team he has heard the mantra mantra
never quit thousands and thousands of times he has yelled to his friends and
whispered it to himself it has become ingrained in his head and I go through a
scenario which is one of many where guess what what what you just what you
need to do is actually quit you need to stop you need to stop what you’re doing
you need it you’re gonna get your entire platoon killed you’re gonna you’re gonna
destroy this situation that you’re in and you need to be able to detach look
around and figure out a different way of course no one wants to hear that but if
you are patrolling towards a target and they open up with multiple bunkered
machine guns with interlocking field of fire on your avenue of approach and you
decide you’re not gonna quit guess what everyone’s going to die so I go through
that and I go I go through how we measure that when is the appropriate
time why it’s the appropriate thing to do so I even talk about some of the
classic examples right Dunkirk yeah Dunkirk guess what that was
quitting General George Washington led the retreat of Continental forces out of
New York and escaped that was crucial for the ability of the Revolutionary
Army to continue to fight later engagements and win by the way so what
are we talking about yeah we’re talking about tactical and and I explained this
in the book strategic like we’re not gonna quit on
our strategic goals but a tactical situation we might quit on yeah I mean
you said it obviously they’re talking about tactics this the tactical decision
is actually enforcing what matters which is not winning that engagement it’s
winning the war and if I’m flying around in my airplane and I get engaged with
three aircrafts and I have 500 pounds of usable gas and my wingman just went home
with an emergency you know and I need to run away I need a set but what we call
separated I need to set up a plan R I can separate and I leave this fight I
need to run away from this fine ad to quit this engagement and get away and
nothing about that sounds sexy none of it sounds rewarding
none of it sounds good in any way and the story they want is like oh I turn
decisively and then get I will die I’ll be in a parachute I’ll be dead whatever
it is quitting tactics is actually just iterative decision-making going oh you
know what this isn’t work this isn’t getting me towards my goal and I’m just
maneuvering in another direction the worst thing you can do is what we when
we decide to fight in an aircraft you and I’ve met you’re a bad guy I’m a good
guy we decide to get to an engagement and we turn we call that anchoring and
there’s a reason it’s called anchoring because just like with a ship
that has dropped anchor guess what you’re not going anywhere
you are gonna anchor right there and you can’t and your decisions have now gone
from an infinite number of decisions down to one which is I’m gonna sit here
and turn until one of us dies you know what that does to every other person
involved in this engagement the 50 other airplanes or the Sam they all know I’m
right there I have almost no maneuvering room I have no options and the
likelihood that I’m gonna anchor and survive are very very small
but people want that satisfying answer ever ever ever quit we see this in the
FTX all the time send me two more they’re dead to get the other two okay
then under their debt and now you’re saying it so plainly but it’s that
mantra and that in their mind has never quit and they don’t understand that
you’re talking about a tactical versus a strategic thing and that’s the biggest
difference yeah don’t anchors similar I guess then to don’t dig in don’t dig in
because right you’re gonna give up your ability to maneuver it’s exactly what is
that because once you once you decide you’re gonna fight you just don’t have
the aircraft doesn’t have the capability to just get out of there it’s two
reasons one no different than you as a task unit commander looking down the
sights of your rifle so I’m now decisively engaged with one of the
aircraft 100% of my attention is on that aircraft 100% I have zero bandwidth for
anything else and to those fights a hundred percent of the time go from fast
speed to slow speed because you’re turning so all your energy all your
manoeuvring all the G’s slow that your planes down so you go from four or five
hundred knots down to usually about a hundred and fifteen knots and you can
have the most advanced airplane on the world when you’re turning around 115
knots you’re a Cessna you’re just sitting there slow compared to us and so
you don’t see anything else is happening and you have no literal manoeuvre
maneuvering speed so you’re slow and you can’t you’re not paying attention
anything else because if I stop looking to you I look elsewhere you’re gonna
kill me it’s it’s you have no options so anchoring and aviation is the exact same
thing as digging in and once you do it you have no options and this
conversation based around a one-on-one fighting and this was a revelation to me
last time that the conversation around one-on-one fighting is not very
realistic because we’re not I’m not gonna be alone no now you and I might
end up in a one-on-one fight but the other 20 airplanes aren’t in that
one-on-one fight and they’re all gonna focus on that and when one of the two of
us is gonna get picked off by our by our allies by our friends so you and I might
be fighting one against one and then you’re gonna get blasted by echo Charles
even if I fight even if I beat you even if I win that fight that that dogfight
you he’s already behind you he’s yeah if I get maybe a matter of time but the
likelihood there is no such thing where the enemy takes off let’s want launched
one aircraft and Americans responded we’ll gonna launch
one aircraft it does ever happens like that so you might be in a one-on-one
fight but there’s 20 other airplanes out there are you is our strategy is the
strategy of air combat hey we’re gonna send more planes than you it used to be
we thought well that’s been a cycle that was the Russian strategy in the 80s just
build a whole bunch of airplanes seventies and eighties and turns out
that we discovered that with technology we could build less that were way better
and I have a system that could take down six years for you know for every every
one more time I can shoot down six years sending the strategist to technology and
now we leverage that we actually don’t think mass in and of itself is what we
need to do we actually need to have the ability to guess what maneuver maneuver
and no more than you have more awareness and more information and be able to
focus on much more than just one thing and so technology isn’t just about being
high-tech it’s about giving the pilot more information about more different
things that are going on which is the exact same thing as a pilot I no longer
need to stare down the scope of my rifle I don’t need to look at my sights I
actually have a system that lets me look at 15 different things at the same time
and have high fidelity information to decide on I can think strategically in a
one-man fighter which nobody ever thought was possible
but it actually is possible if you can detach and you use a great language and
here used to talk about detach not just physically but detaching mentally
aircraft now allow pilots to detach mentally in ways they never could before
and are there aircrafts that are detached from the situation that are
monitoring so am i as the air mission commander or whatever the name is am i
some guy that’s at whatever 30,000 feet or 10 nautical miles away and I can see
this entire thing on radar and I can be like Dave D hey everyone Dave’s in a
fight it’s you know yeah you know attack two intact for go take go support him
I would I would still compare it much more to like a platoon commander on a
platoon size operation or a task image that you’re there but you’re you’re
physically detached but not like literally you know back away so it’s not
like I’m in a platoon on the ground and someone in a talk
weh-weh that can barely doesn’t really know what’s happening and they’re trying
to give you directions because that’s what that comparison that’s right
got it check

1. David Pryor

February 15, 2020 at 8:41 am

U make it thru buds by not quitting? But u can be booted and rolled back if you just don’t perform well enough

2. Jason Bean

February 15, 2020 at 8:43 am

“You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run.” Kenny Rogers, “The Gambler.”
    You have to know when to fire a client, too. It is seldom, but it happens. Sometimes a business relationship starts out sweet, then gradually sours. You may even have to end a decades long friendship over a financial disagreement. Be as objective as possible. You will be fine.:)

3. Parm Sidhu

February 15, 2020 at 8:51 am

Sir, please have Jonny Kim and Kevin Lacz on the podcast!

4. dingle dangle

February 15, 2020 at 8:57 am

Wow dude that's extremely interesting info and you're guest has wisdom. I'm reading the prince. But its antiquity really. This stuff is extremely important as we live in a different age.

5. sgtpeppesrband

February 15, 2020 at 9:15 am

6. Thabiso Hadebe

February 15, 2020 at 9:38 am

Never giving up is important, but knowing when to give up is even more rewarding

7. Riley Oneil

February 15, 2020 at 10:05 am

"Never quit, unless defeat is inevitable, then maybe quit"

8. Ryker Quackenbush

February 15, 2020 at 10:20 am

Kardashev III. As a Leader, I have to ask you why we’re not there yet, Jocko? knifehand What pace are we setting here? -_-

9. Practical Inspiration

February 15, 2020 at 10:32 am

Really interesting and good question. You may need to quit a battle to win the war. One other factor I'd also consider is the utility of what you work on towards what you pursue. If you're struggling on something that isn't serving to benefit what you find meaningful, then I'd argue that's a time where quitting is acceptable, rather shedding the fat in your life that serves no benefit, but rather holds you back.

10. Vershima Ajo

February 15, 2020 at 10:41 am

This has David Goggins written all over it…I love both men with my heart…I think due to Goggins' personal traumas, he etched this mantra in his head so deeply that he simply wasn't able to let it go when it was most beneficial for the health of the platoon. I believe this is the reason he has very few close Seal friends to this day….

11. Vershima Ajo

February 15, 2020 at 11:01 am

It seems to me that in order to rectify this paradox, prospective Seals in BUDS need to be made aware that what they are experiencing is not precisely what it means to be a Seal. Getting through BUDS doesn't make you a Seal, it only proves you have the requisite toughness to be a Seal. I'm guessing there are many men, and women, out there with that requisite toughness, but there is so much more to being a warfighter than toughness….This is what I'm gathering…….man sometimes I wish I joined the military….something about total surrender of self to a higher cause just resonates with the deepest part of my soul…

12. Joachim Vanhauwaert

February 15, 2020 at 11:25 am

Quitting what exactly? Quit taking showers while the government is filming me? Quit honesty? What exactly is it I'm doing that needs quitting?

13. Kage naru mono

February 15, 2020 at 12:00 pm

It's just maneuvers, not literally quiting. Well explained.

14. Xavier Soto

February 15, 2020 at 12:05 pm

aka: Always know when to employ the Jostar family secret technique.

15. Veronica Funky

February 15, 2020 at 12:17 pm

I want to quit my job…..not enough hours..little money….getting the flu…I needed to leave work early because I have the flu.

16. Veronica Funky

February 15, 2020 at 12:20 pm

I need a place to live…I'm needing to work at full time job…I need my family…have a bad cold…

17. Veronica Funky

February 15, 2020 at 12:21 pm

At George willettes house he let me stay in his spare room… Bennington NH…don't know where I'll stay…I'm so miserable…George says I'm wacky!!!

18. nsmac1969

February 15, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Defeat is not inevitable if you still have heart.

19. KingOfTheAudioJungle

February 15, 2020 at 1:17 pm

*imo, There’s no valor in giving your enemy an easy kill… know how to pick your battles… if the playing field isn’t even, or you don’t have the upper hand… iSay retreat until it is/you do. 🔥🤷🏾‍♂️🔥

*You can be the bravest man in the cemetery if you want… but I believe it is far more useful to my cause to… live… to… fight… another… day.👈🏾

20. Andreas Rydell - Vlogs & Self Development

February 15, 2020 at 2:41 pm

If you fail or screw up you need to forgive yourself and move on & continue pushing forward and do it fast. There is no time to get stuck up & hold resentment towards yourself. Here is a tip: Forgive yourself cause you DIDN'T KNOW any better. You acted from what you KNOW and what you have been TAUGHT. You are not perfect, but you are for sure LEARNING! I failed the first business that I spent over 2 years building and it took a toll on me. But now I have recovered and started my youtube channel and even though not many watch me I keep pushing. My goal remains the same as 3 years ago, the method is just different. Get back up people and keep at it!

21. Adam 1

February 15, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Who’s the guest?

22. Silas Cochran

February 15, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. These cowardly trollers Are using your podcast To try to intimidate me. I unsubscribe for a few days. I'm back. These chicken schitts do not use their real name. They have hilarious monikers. I don't trip slip or stumble. And I never leave a fallen. They don't really bother me in the least. But I do get some laughs out of them. I don't hide behind a moniker. Or some Goofy name. That's my real name They called me a flag waver. Yep. I sent them a bunch of them.🇺🇸×55 I don't think they would ever. Survive or endure What I have. Without ever meeting them. I could tell you. They are overweight. And have IQs you could fit inside the numerals of a dollar bill.⚓🎗🇺🇸🥋🥊🥊

23. Nicholos Batcheller

February 15, 2020 at 4:02 pm

How does David only have a Facebook?

24. E.A.U /

February 15, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Was Mr.Berke by any Chance referring to a F-35B which is a VTOL and therefore has some incredible Maneuverability Capabilities such as hover, fly sideways or backwards? Comparing a F-35B to a Cessna while turning would be comparing Apples and Oranges especially considering the F-35B can fly for 80 cumulative seconds at Mach 1.2 or 40 seconds at Mach 1.3 without risking damage.And did he refer to UAVs completely casually?

25. 7curiogeo

February 15, 2020 at 4:37 pm

It seems to me, seals and all Spec ops forces are not and never were ment to be used as convintual forces.
    Tactical withdrawal is often the strategic reality.
    And the most intelligent option.

26. beamo scrilla

February 15, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Jocko, have you thought about running for president? After r reading Extreme Ownership and the Dichotomy of Leasership, I truly believe you have the potential to be the greatest president since JFK.

27. The Ultimate Troll

February 15, 2020 at 5:06 pm

What do you do when you caused most of the mistakes in a relationship? We were together for 5 months and it’s been almost 4 since we broke up. I fucked up(not cheating) just started a lot of arguement and she got tired of it. What do I do? I want her back

28. Steve Chevy

February 15, 2020 at 5:36 pm

There times and places were quitting is just the smart way think even though quitting to everything is shameful

29. AgeofMachines

February 15, 2020 at 6:17 pm

This was good for me to hear.

30. gamebred26

February 15, 2020 at 6:54 pm

"Live to fight another day"…

31. Tiger Kap

February 15, 2020 at 7:17 pm

I love that! “Got it check” $👌🥂

32. Parker Redding

February 15, 2020 at 7:21 pm

If I had just a fraction of this mans testosterone

33. Michael Winter

February 15, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Is this "Quitting" or is this more "maneuvering from a position of weakness to one of strength"? To me in each of these circumstances given quitting would have been surrendering instead of retreating.

34. Antonio Jay

February 15, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Can this relate in the workplace trying to succeed and get promoted?

35. Brian Nesbitt

February 15, 2020 at 10:45 pm

ORM. Operational Risk Management. Don't be stupid

36. donald johnson

February 15, 2020 at 11:25 pm

I quit this podcast strategically 10 seconds in. :p

37. Kevin Kemble

February 15, 2020 at 11:29 pm

“Adjusted” “Modulated” …. thank you Jocko for your coauthoring “Extreme Ownership” …. met you with 10,000 others in Peoria Illinois few years back with Leif Babin. Phenomenal talk you Warriors spilled on us.

38. Erik Huge

February 16, 2020 at 12:09 am

When are you going to have new interviews? Much love and thanks

39. John Brinsmead

February 16, 2020 at 12:36 am

plan. do. check. act.

40. Theodore Grier

February 16, 2020 at 2:10 am

Don’t ever quit but you have to know when to take a step back to take two steps forward

41. DimensionZombie

February 16, 2020 at 2:35 am

I NEVER QUIT BECAUSE OF MY POWERFUL ….

SKINNY KNEES!!!!

42. Gia Pacella

February 16, 2020 at 2:56 am

I told you… Zero Hedge Article Soros/Koch alliance…Do you know about Rudy K how he burned and embarrassed Koch …I know it all…I watched it…Rudy John Kapon..The FBI never questioned me… loaded sealed signed off on pallet of Wine ..Gia Pacella Kingwood Texas 🇺🇸✝️ Gino Pacella my Brother … Pacific Wine Distributors

43. Sanoe Badua

February 16, 2020 at 3:08 am

Have you considered that you are giving the enemy important information. Your podcast is authentic,indepth,and valuable,very much appreciated.One of your earlier shows really helped me get over a difficult break up.Praying for you sir,and best to you and your fam.

44. Jonathon Frazier

February 16, 2020 at 3:29 am

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.

45. Kevin Mao

February 16, 2020 at 3:53 am

I wouldn't call it quitting, I would call it being more efficient use of resources. Trying to break something that have extremely low odds seems like a waste of resources.

46. Nick Hikes

February 16, 2020 at 5:51 am

Guerilla tactics 101…

47. Dolf Dervish

February 16, 2020 at 6:45 am

10/4
    3 thing's (just feedback):
    1. Whether you like him or not, this (what Jocko & his guest are talking about) is exactly how Tito defeated a "Brazilian" Vanderlei when he (Vanderlei) was SLAYING dude's in the cages; Tito took one on the jaw..
    Got baby deer legged..
    Detached, retreated, & proceeded to DOMINATE Vand…
    At one point, Tito caught him and almost completely slept him (like, Vand literally full on plank style face planted).

2. I'm so glad the guest used use the term: "Anchoring."
    Reminded me exactly why I could never 100% commit to BJJ as: "the 'most effective' Self Defense form."

Think about it.

How many BJJ teachers have taught you/their students to avoid a fight at all costs…
    Unless you can't..?

And, I'm not talking about some of those folks who just say that because they're smart-aka for marketing purposes (but their actions tell you how they really get down.. I.E. using aggressive leverage tactics in every aspect of their lives… Aka.. Being a d!ck.. Perhaps just with a "smile").

How many of us have been trained, on a very deep level (when you really feel/think about it), to react 1st by being ok with being taken down (instead of avoiding the take down & de-escalating the situation)?

"Go ahead bro!
    You're in MY World now!"

Now, how many gang members (aka Real Life Street Warriors) do you see pulling guard?

How many BJJ guys would get soccer kicked to DEATH by said Street Warriors if they tried "playing BJJ" in an actual street fight?

What I'm saying is:
    With allll due Respect, BJJ, as much as I Love training in a gym, in a street fight, looks a LOT like: "Anchoring."

3. The ads before & after Jocko's vids never cease to amaze me hahaha 😂 wtf

48. Specter

February 16, 2020 at 8:23 am

Yes! I'll be damned if I'm losing my life over decisions from Squad lead or Platoon lead or whoever. Training is one thing, passing limits is valid. But putting your mates in a fatal situation crosses the line, call for support or an evac. This isn't fucking Hollywood.

49. Big tickle

February 16, 2020 at 9:35 am

Interlocking bunkered machinegun fire? I just think about going to the gym and I quit.

50. Samuel Shelver

February 16, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Hi Jocko,

I've enjoyed listening to your podcast and reading your latest book on leadership. My question is: do you see value in grassroots movements that seek to change political, economic or social institutions? For example women's suffrage, the end of apartheid, unionization. I'm not asking you to take a political stance or go into detail on any of these specific points, but it'd be nice to know your thoughts on collective efforts to make the world a better place, as opposed to individual efforts to improve one's own life.

51. Spencer CCFT

February 16, 2020 at 4:47 pm

When evil has your back against the wall it is your responsibility to die.

52. Robnself 2018

February 16, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Jocko you should do a video on the waffen SS. There are a lot of misconceptions of them.

53. Cool Guy

February 16, 2020 at 6:40 pm

I find this guy, david goggins, and others very inspirong. I am hoping to finish college in about a year and then become a military officer! he has inspired me to pursue my dreams!

54. sean whitmore

February 16, 2020 at 7:59 pm

I’m running into a lot of injury between weight training, climbing, and JiuJitsu. How do you recover properly?

55. gan102

February 16, 2020 at 8:43 pm

In the Battle of independence in Turkey during the early 20‘s Atatürk retreated to Anatolia and when asked why he said: I will drown them in Anatolia.” They didn’t give up.

56. Kallen Odell

February 16, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Jocko u are the best 12 years old and want to be a navy seal any tips 😊😊😊

57. RangerCaptain11A

February 17, 2020 at 2:48 am

in life in general, and in relationships, sometimes quitting is the best course.

58. Star Dragon

February 17, 2020 at 3:29 am

Fucking awesome video. This shit doesn't apply to cowards. Sometimes you have to avoid and move to win. It's fighting smart, not hard. The Scythians, Mongols and Sarmatians were the masters of this shit. They would run away and then counter attack or fight while "running".

59. fatalisferrum

February 17, 2020 at 4:35 am

September 8 Zodiac Sign – Virgo

Being a Virgo born on September 8th, your organizational skills are only out shined by your great discipline and tactfulness. You would be hard pressed to remember a time where you couldn't bring order to a situation.

60. Skull Full

February 17, 2020 at 5:18 am

Quit the approach if you're not making progress but not your goal. This is obvious also integrated not only in war but in real life too, if you're not quiting the march to the bigger picture then its just a change of approach you're still marching towards your goal.

61. THAC0twenty

February 17, 2020 at 5:33 am

Quiiting a stretgy isnt failing, its reassessing.

62. Jake Colleran

February 17, 2020 at 5:35 am

How could I become a better swimmer and prep for seal training

63. Temporary Kinda

February 17, 2020 at 6:35 am

How don't submit a question for Jocko?Email?

64. Paul Murphy

February 17, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Lionel Messi?

65. selohcin

February 17, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Clickbait. Thumbs down. He never discussed how to know when it's the appropriate time to quit.

66. Echoeversky Ü

February 17, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Never quit —> Don’t be stupid?

67. John Bailey

February 17, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Know when to turn around and walk away. During patrol phase of Sapper Leader, I was leading a patrol on a recon mission. Every approach it seemed like they were waiting for us. I told the cadre we were heading back, too much risk for the reward – the information had limited value. You are going to decide not to accomplish your sapper mission? Yep, I replied. They said that they would DQ me from the course, so we went on. Next approach and we spotted them again. The fourth approach, didn't see a thing and they killed most of us (Miles Kill). One of the cadre was always falling back and radioing our position and direction of movement to the opfor. It was a suicide mission by design. Sometimes better to live to fight another day.

68. GtvFreaq

February 17, 2020 at 7:35 pm

Hitler last tactic: quit strategically

69. R D Kelly

February 17, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Custer wouldn't have given up when Germany attacked Pearl Harbor?

70. F. Huff

February 17, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Just discovered your channel. IMHO many fights are like 4GW in a way. It's not about a duel for honor. It's about beating the enemy psychologically and physically. Leave your ego at home. As much as is possible never let the enemy have a chance.

71. BravoFoxtrot LLC

February 17, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Well in essence Joko, you are not saying to quit! You are saying to refocus, re plan and re engage!

72. Karen Murphy

February 17, 2020 at 10:30 pm

Trouble is he is still in my social environment pff!

73. Sairab Shah

February 18, 2020 at 12:08 pm

In history you will be proven right, carry on regardless. Assess imminent and long view goals.

Corporate, political and snake idiots can FUKK OFF

74. NamePending

February 18, 2020 at 2:15 pm

If you want to read one hell of an account of Washington's retreat, check out Chapter 4 of "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow. Try to imagine two British ships, 44 and 28 gun, shelling Manhattan.

75. Matrix Master

February 18, 2020 at 3:51 pm

Send In The Reinforcements! Because 2178 + 2178 + 380 = The True Spirit Never Loses^^

76. First Last

February 18, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Fuck facebook and their stupid kazuu commercial

77. Jozef Kučera

February 18, 2020 at 7:49 pm

how about drinking?

78. CR7 NJ11

February 18, 2020 at 11:04 pm

“Chip” You are a true living legend.

79. ProCactus

February 19, 2020 at 3:51 am

This video is dribble.

80. Michael Seymour

February 19, 2020 at 5:58 am

What war does america not quit in LOL !!! Bad Unc Sam ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB7E2rc3bwg

81. Anthony Sforza

February 19, 2020 at 7:54 am

It's like the samurai… they had a very particular way of wording things. Beyond superstition, some things were morale sucks. Like there was one example of where if they were to ask a lower soldier to cut them down a branch, they'd say "Could you run me down a branch" (Or something to that effect) as saying it the other way connotes defeat (In Japanese). So they never say "retreat"… it was a "Tactical Withdrawal."

82. John Ouellet

February 19, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Makes me think about lone survivor, they should have quit, tied up the goat hearders and booked out instead of staying and dying. God bless them

83. Silverado Shooting Academy

February 20, 2020 at 2:21 am

So should Lee have listened to Longsteet and gone to the right at Gettysburg?

84. Mike P.

February 20, 2020 at 3:56 am

Jocko, perhaps the last week of Bud’s might be a little focused on bringing down the intensity. Or some other back to reality indoc.

85. Corey Pattison

February 20, 2020 at 5:14 am

I was wondering when the videos would start contradicting one another. You know the people editing these videos were noticing. "Hey, never quit, but know when to every time or you're wrong." Glad to see even the people with all the answers still don't have all the answers.

86. FLE OnGoogle

February 20, 2020 at 11:47 am

Stumbled on this Jocko thing: Top 10 on any current performance and content rich pod?

Discipline is keeping true to your self! The most difficult truth of them all. I enjoyed this Youtube-moment.

87. Stompacks

February 20, 2020 at 5:58 pm

I'm just chuckling to myself because every single SEAL team analogy here applies perfectly to my dilemma with my mother in law. It's uncanny.

88. Not that Guy

February 20, 2020 at 6:29 pm

Lol Coles notes pick your battles

89. jon maher

February 20, 2020 at 6:54 pm

I'm a tactical quitter.

90. Chris Creaser

February 21, 2020 at 9:27 am

Who said "Leaders will not surrender untill surrender is academic''?…. 🙂

91. Giga Motskobili

February 21, 2020 at 1:53 pm

So do I have to give up in my life as nothing is expected?

92. Dirk Knight

February 21, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Most people should quit what they are doing immediately and start doing something that makes sense.

93. Billy Grahammer

February 21, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Sometimes we have to quit, give up, but not until we have fought long and hard. Too many people so easily give up today, which then makes for lack of character building.

94. Munedawg

February 21, 2020 at 5:42 pm

I was listening without watching the video. It was like Jocko talking to his inner dialogue.

95. Gitfiddle 7766

February 21, 2020 at 8:14 pm

General Lee might be the best “quitter” in the history of US warfare. He had the Northern army chasing him around for years! He decided to fight only when he had the advantage.

96. Corey Pattison

February 21, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Just remember, you're damned if you do. And damned if you don't. If you don't know when to quit you're an asshole. And if you quit you're an asshole. But by all means buy the man's book and stuff. That's really all that matters. The church couldn't care less if you're going to hell and long as you're putting money in the plate as it goes by.

97. T FP

February 22, 2020 at 5:32 am

Never quit….unless it is in your favour.

98. 6.4 HemiDriver

February 22, 2020 at 6:03 am

I often wondered why fighter jets didn't have a few air to air missiles facing reward to shoot at enemy fighters approaching from behind.

99. Chris Creaser

February 24, 2020 at 9:04 am

Sun T'zu – "The Art of War" – watch on youtube…. 🙂

100. Alexis Carter

February 28, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Great examples love jocko he’s so wise 😌