Knowing when to let go of a friendship

There is a saying that we meet somebody for a reason a season or for life and sometimes there comes a point in a crossroads where we wonder whether or not it is actually time to walk away from someone and it could be somebody that we care for very deeply but there comes a point when we feel this isn’t a healthy relationship it may feel like a toxic relationship it may be something we’ve been let down so many times it might be somebody who doesn’t share your values maybe your value for honesty maybe your value for integrity maybe even your value for just somebody turning up on time and sticking to their word. The thing is is your values are your compass in life they’re the things that keep you straight and when somebody doesn’t share your values that’s a really really big deal and that has to be entered into not lightly but with great consideration. So sometimes you just know when it is time to walk away and then the hardest thing is acting upon the knowing because you don’t want to offend or upset people and quite often what ends up happening is people just don’t contact again they don’t return the text messages they don’t turn the phone calls and then the person being abandoned is left with this idea of what did I do wrong? You don’t know what’s happened here and that can actually be a lot more damaging than you’re just saying hey I’m sorry to say I don’t feel that we are in alignment with each other anymore and I’m moving on. I don’t want to be your friend or your partner or anything anymore sometimes you just have to be able to say that and if you can’t say it in person you stand there sending a text message by the way this is the dump message but just to actually have the guts to be able to say I don’t know why I can’t quite explain but our time here is done that can be one of the kindest things that you ever give anybody believe me it’s one of the toughest things to do and I haven’t always managed it and every time I didn’t end something cleanly I’ve always felt a sense of perhaps a little guilt and certainly sadness over it so there comes a time when you know that you need to walk away from somebody do it believe me one thing I have noticed is even if you find that you have absolutely no friends and you’re in freefall and there’s no one to go to the cinema with you end up replacing the friends that weren’t great for you with a whole load more at different point in time for every friend that you let go of because of integrity for you being true to yourself or not being compromised in a way that is corrosive towards you you get another two or three friends to replace them you might not know it straightaway and there may be that time of freefall but the most important thing is that you don’t abuse other people by allowing yourself to be abused does that sound strange to you how are you abusing someone else when you’re being abused. Well, if you allow people to abuse you you’re actually abusing them by making them believe that it is okay to be a grot bag in the world and if they think it’s okay to be a grot bag in the world then they’re going to be a grot bag towards other people as well so if you can let them know that it is okay with you I mean maybe they’re not being a grot bag maybe you’re just very sensitive it doesn’t matter but when you say this isn’t okay with me then you’re not saying you need to change you’re saying this isn’t okay with me and I’m walking away because that’s not okay with me then when you do that you are actually giving that person the opportunity to change or the opportunity to have some self-reflection and maybe you know in the future maybe not even in your life but actually be able to change and make the world a better place. So ultimately you don’t want to abuse someone by making them believe that their behaviour is acceptable. Because ultimately nobody wins that way so it’s a tough time it’s a tough decision but remember a person in your life for a reason season or for life and when you know it’s a reason and the reason is done walk away and when you know it’s a season be grateful because it was fun and walk away and when it’s for life fight hard to keep that close connection because those people are gold dust and for most of us we can name the friends that we will keep all of our lives on one hand and not on very many fingers of that hand. But when you love somebody like that and you really care for them those friendships ones that are really worth fighting for

1. Seriously Single Mom

January 28, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Ugh I needed you today! What a great video!

2. Christy Duval

February 1, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Thank you!

3. ando1135

February 5, 2018 at 4:44 pm

I never had real friends…I'm 30 and still don't. I think to myself, maybe friendship…no matter how hard I try at it, is just not meant for me. I have a friend that I felt I was close with but an incident happened yesterday that really showed me where I stand with him. I'm contemplating ending it but the thought of being alone again…also compounded by the fact that we work together, stresses me out and makes me just want to try to fix the problem…but it seems like even fixing the issue would be for nothing as I felt like I didn't exist to him ( his friend came over and we all hung out but they spoke their native tongues to each other and I was left feeling like a stranger in a new country…excluded and forgotten while 1 foot away from them without even being acknowledged unless I spoke and asked what was being said…I never felt so alone and forgotten in my life)

4. Mary Chapel

February 6, 2018 at 2:42 am

Thank you for this video.  I just wrote an email to end a 20 year friendship that was one sided.  I told the truth and while I feel sad, I feel like I did the right thing to let her know that an email, text, no phone call except if I initiate won't cut it anymore.  She probably won't ever change but I have and I know I can have some expectations of a friend.  🙂

5. Sherry Crawford

February 8, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Telling them that ,you will have drama !

6. RavenMadd9

February 25, 2018 at 1:43 am

7. Vicki Trusselli

March 8, 2018 at 8:44 pm

I just realized how much my former BFF changed. I live 2000 miles away now. I had an awful experience. I visited the city where she still lives. I stayed with a former neighbor that had a stroke. The lady's husband tried to climb in bed with me. I told him no. I had to lock my door. I told my former BFF about it. She said oh you're just sabotaging a relationship of people who are trying to help you. She didn't talk to me for five days and still didn't believe it happened. I was sad but I left soon to go home 2000 miles away. I had sent her some political videos that we used to be the same. She told me off said if we remain friends you can never send me anything in messenger again. I was appalled and hurt. She did other things too. I wrote back told her I was not going to send her anything or tell her anything as she crossed my boundaries. I was tired of her putting me down. I was her BFF through a narcissistic male female relationship that I'm no longer in. Now I realize she changed or maybe I see her in a different light. I have a college degree she never attended college. She told me I didn't act so smug. She had not spoken to me for three months back years ago when I had bought a Jeep. My payment was the same as hers but she told me I bought a luxury car and would not talk to me for three months. I believe that now I'm totally out of my narcissistic relationship for two years I'm realizing I have to leave her behind as I am put on the spot as a bad person. I told the other lady s husband off and live 2000 miles away. I will not go back to that part of my past. But to be told by a supposed to be BFF that I lied about the stroke lady's husband really hurt. I was alone and figured it out. Now I don't even want to be her friend now.

8. STYLZ

March 10, 2018 at 6:10 am

Currently going through this and figuring out who to let go and who to continue to be friends with.

9. BigManTate7364

March 24, 2018 at 7:52 am

This is so accurate. I needed to hear this and I feel the courage to make the jump now and have that conversation. I agree that cutting off suddenly feels out of integrity and it's good to let them know where I stand. It gives them an opportunity to grow and change if they choose to learn from it. Thank you for this video 🙂

10. Rena Petrovečki

March 24, 2018 at 10:22 am

Practice non-attachment. Accepting what comes and allowing it to leave when it's time. What's for you will be for you effortlessly.

11. Jermaine Hernández

March 30, 2018 at 11:46 pm

Thank U So So Much! I needed to hear this today, this Really helped me. Me & my now former BFF for 18 years have finally called it quits. it's a long story… but I'd rather not write every-everthing that went on, cuz its too much to write. but all i can say is that I'm a lil hurt that our friendship is over, but at the same time. im kinda glad. it was bound to happen anyways (cuz we had too different personalities) I was more of a nice, kind-hearted, down to earth, person & she was more of a mixed evil, semi-Sometimes nice person). to be honest, she let me go as a friend, but it's all good. through out the years we've been friends people always told me that "I needed to be careful by having her in my life", so many things she had done to me to make me, feel like she was using me, calling me her BFF only when it was convenient when she never really cared about me. all the signs was always there, I just can't believe I still stayed by her side unconditionally all these years. it hurts a lil bit, but believe me in due time, my pain will slowly heal… will I ever want the friendship back?… No, I don't think so. I can't be friends with a cold-hearted person who is trying to manipulate me by apologizing for what she really meant to let go 1st when I was still holding on faithfully. I wish her all the best, but never will I wish any harm on her. I will Always love her, but i won't ever forget the pain she cost me by giving up on us. #LettingGo #MovingOn #ItsLife #LetItBurn.

12. Smart Tours

April 13, 2018 at 12:21 am

Great post .. Makes alot of sense..

13. Zapzey

April 17, 2018 at 7:04 pm

I need to let my friend go. Bedoree he was so nice and happy. Now he never talks with mr anymore. I ask him if somethings wrong. He says yes, but never tell me what. I am sick of have to work too luch. I feel like he is controlling me. Now he always talks shit about things I like. When he taöks about things I'm not interested in, I listen anyways. When I talk about things I like, he just tries to tell me that those things suck and that I shouldn't keep watching or doing them

14. Zapzey

April 17, 2018 at 7:11 pm

I want to let go of my friend, but we go to the same school, same class. I always see him. And everyone in the class (except som girla who have their own group) is friends with eachother. If I stop being his friend, it's like stop having friends. But pur school only has classes to sixth grade, and I'm in fifth right now. I think about waiting 'till I change school

15. Chelsea Symone

May 4, 2018 at 12:17 pm

We are too old to be explaining to people why we can't be friends with them anymore. No need to explain noting to nobody. Keep it moving

16. She’s got it right

May 15, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Can u make a video because my “friend” seem likes she doesn’t like me and the last time I hung out with her 2 days ago I played with her and my other “friend” she walked with her and they walked away from me and left me out and they hung out together and didn’t even bother to talk to me and I am getting sad and mad and depressed and one of them is in my class and didn’t even sit with me in the field trip! so I played with other two girls and they were nice but soon they started leaving me out and they always did so I don’t know what to do I mean I have to deal with the two girls and it’s just hard for me and I am tired of it I just want some friends who are nice and I can stick with for a long time and everyone’s rude to me.i can’t take it! Plz tell me what I need to do. Thanks-Jazzy

17. Trxqic•

June 11, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I have friends but… They always make me sad… And when me and my friend had an argument like a month ago and last night I decided to let them go and I sent them a message sending clues on what will happen tomorrow cause I will change my username and I will unfriend them tomorrow

18. Tristan -

June 14, 2018 at 9:57 am

I think, your so right on this 🙂

19. Chantal Paquette

June 24, 2018 at 12:54 am

Thanks for posting this 🙂 I'm having a hard time getting over this close lifelong friend of mine. She never wants anything to do with me anymore and has even blocked me on social media websites. It's a long story there, but I saw an email address of yours on your website. Would it be okay if I emailed you about it or something. I'm still having a hard time figuring out what to do about it and would really appreciate help and advice

20. Clarissa Cecilia Cummings

June 27, 2018 at 6:58 pm

I thought about a recent friendship long and hard before I said; look I can’t do this anymore. Iv always put myself out there with this person, and never really felt I got the same back, but knowing her and thinking she was my best friend for 10 years was why it was hard to let go. She dropped me once about 5 years ago because of a partner I was with she didn’t like then a couple years ago later spoke to me again and apologised. I accepted that but then she’s had a child who is 1 end of August. I understand children make you busy but she was talking and meeting up with her other mum friends, and I heard nothing. It made me feel awful because I cherished her. I also had a family tragedy this past year that has really impacted us as a family for a year, and got zero support. We argued about a few things and I said; look let’s meet up for a meal. The time comes she doesn’t turn up, I message her the next day she then says she was there and didn’t see me… ok so you go all that way to meet me knowing I live near there and don’t come over (bullshit), and also doesn’t bother to ring or text saying she sent a fb message that I actually still haven’t received to this day! And the previous day she was at a bloggers event, so no care to leave me high and dry. Then I ended the friendship. One of the toughest years of my life and I got no support from her. Now it’s like I didn’t even exist. She’s doing as she does seeing her friends who have children, going out to bloggers event, but couldn’t meet a friend of 10 years to sort issues out. Naturally it’s upset me a lot 😓

21. Sugar Free

June 28, 2018 at 11:49 pm

I like that. I like you delivery even of a way to dump. Very tactful I have a lot to learn

22. Sugar Free

July 12, 2018 at 2:42 pm

6 years ago, I gave up all of my toxic fair-weather friends. Now I Stand Alone…….. For now

23. Corinne Yaworski

July 21, 2018 at 7:50 pm

This is a really good video. Met someone not long ago. She goes to a social program I go to. Seems like we both vented with each other. Looks like she thinks I complained too much. What can I say? She just let me go.

24. errrrm78

July 23, 2018 at 10:13 am

Well said. Thank you.

25. Harrison Charles

August 8, 2018 at 9:19 am

She hit alot of key points…. But in life it's all about the value of one self, hanging out is cool movie and drinks. But can you be here for me when it matters, Value is the glue that keeps a friend.

26. kawaiistar2009

August 13, 2018 at 7:16 pm

I loved this video… so kind and honest…💖

27. eeveebo0w0

August 16, 2018 at 3:24 pm

i've been having doubting thoughts about my best friend
    shes always too busy to hang out i was thinking maybe this is the best for us
    but that part at the end about the friends for life really cut deep
    i've known this person for 4 years now and i really didnt want to give up
    but i didnt know what to do
    i'm going to keep fighting for our friendship thank you

28. Abubakar Deerow

September 13, 2018 at 8:42 pm

thnks

29. Sarah Taylor

September 17, 2018 at 3:03 am

I just let go of someone I invested a lot in.She was good for me once but I'm tired of her back handed compliments, constant criticism and the fact she is always trying to tell me I'm not classy enough.

30. Sarah Taylor

September 17, 2018 at 3:06 am

Great video and very calmy presented.

31. Callie Kuczek

September 30, 2018 at 3:24 pm

This is a great video and I am glad I came across it. I recently ended my friendship with a few people, a couple of which were one-way friends. With those people, I was always the one contacting them and they hardly ever responded. With one of the one-way friends, I have felt for many years the desire to no longer be friends with her. However, she and I kept our friendship going for over 20 years. A recent incident with this person made me decide to walk away permanently. With all of these one-way friendships, these people and I had some good times, but I can tell the connection I once had with them is no longer there. I believe it is time to move on and make new friends.

32. Tessa Dunkley

September 30, 2018 at 9:36 pm

recently been through an emotionally n physically draining time… needed to isolate myself n focus to get through it. explained this clearly to someone who basically ignored my needs. this ended in resentment and neediness on her part… leading to moodiness and indirect statuses aimed at me on fb etc etc etc… the friendship ended and quite frankly i feel a huge sense of relief. a friend doesnt undermine your personal way in dealing with lifes tough times and then blame you when they dont get the response they wanted. sadly the person has alot of good traits but it still doesnt mean they get to dictate how much of my life they are included in. i refuse to be manipulated by people with too much time on their hands when im busy with life

33. Sara N

October 16, 2018 at 1:57 pm

I really needed to hear this. I recently decided to let go of my best friend of 6 years because I feel as if we developed into different directions and she constantly made me feel misunderstood or inferior, I even was afraid to say no to her when she proposed things, even though I didn't want to do them I said yes because I was kinda afraid of her reaction. And i am not saying that is entirely her fault, maybe i am just sensitive and it just doesn't work for me. She didn't take it good and insulted me and wanted me to say I am sorry but I think this needed to happen. I need to be my own person now.

34. Pjoy Gonzales

October 22, 2018 at 1:59 pm

👋🏻🚶🏻‍♀️👭👭

35. Kim Cart

October 23, 2018 at 3:41 am

I hear someone snoring in the background right about 3 minutes into this. I thought I was breathing loudly, but it wasn't me…lol

36. Autumn chills

November 11, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Ok but what if your dealing with a narcissist I think grey rock is the best cause you are not dealing with a normal functional person…They don’t self reflect and they don’t change you just just have to get rid of them

37. queenoflasvegas

November 19, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Thanks for the advise.

38. Sandra Sheldon

November 25, 2018 at 2:22 am

a few of us spend holidays with a couple. This Christmas is at my house. I invited a new friend, now this couple say they're not coming if this new friend is here.

39. TheSushiraw

December 3, 2018 at 7:25 am

THESE DAYS, I CUT PEOPLE OFF WITHOUT WARNING THEM.
    I've been doing things to PEOPLE, things that nobody else would ever do for them, or for me…

40. Marilyn Mccord

December 4, 2018 at 6:22 am

Thank you. I needed to see this message today.

41. Clevagreen84

December 14, 2018 at 2:49 pm

After 15 years my friend turn it back on me when I needed him the most and yes I did let go a few people during a couple of years I didn’t feel they saw our friendship the same way but then I realized I didn’t have anyone left and sometimes it can be hard to be lonely because people are so strange nowadays they’re just seen friendship as using you for something when they needed and when you need them back they just disappear That is so disappointing….

42. hanna w

December 15, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I had to end a friendship of 16 years but we have a mutual friend which makes it hard to stop hearing about this person..places they go blah blah blah.. but oh well

43. Louella Ramos

December 21, 2018 at 6:42 am

I tried walking away from so called friendship but this person keeps on bothering me still.One day, she called and start being her annoying self and being tired that day, I finally blow up and told her exactly what I have been bottling all those years including her bullying and verbal insults about me and my family and that is how our friendship and the rest of the so called friends I had who sided with her ended.Did I regret doing it? Well, I wish I had walk away quietly but in a way, It felt great letting my feelings out. I should have done it earlier than tolerating that bully for almost 10 years. What I learned from that relationship, do not force a friendship especially when you know it is toxic.Do not be afraid to walk away from it.Trust is hard to build and once it is gone, it is hard to recover.

44. James Oliver

December 21, 2018 at 8:56 pm

I enjoyed your video. It was how I was raised. Too many suffering for selfish and toxic reasons to tear eachother up. Break away clean

45. Elsa Martin

January 9, 2019 at 4:41 am

Yes, but what happens when your honest, you tell them that they have hurt you too much and I want to end the friendship. But they keep coming back!? This girl was my best friend AND my cousin. But since we were little she has always done the same hurtful things. I’ve addressed them, she apologizes and then it doesn’t change. I’ve ended the friendship before, then decided to give her another chance but in the end, the same hurtful things would happen. This time I’m done. The bridge is burnt but she keeps contacting me asking for forgiveness! I’m exasperated!

46. FriedFrudda

January 12, 2019 at 2:29 am

From high school graduation, to college, to college graduation, to real world and watch some have kids, when is the right time to move on from long term friends? Like put them behind? Friends come and go like most things do.

47. Jean Engstrom

January 16, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Quality vs. quantity, for starters. When you're with this, "friend" & you feel a vague heaviness…its a subtle sign. Unburden youself of those who have that effect on you

48. Shaunak M

January 23, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Thank You. I had helped one of my ex colleague in her difficult phase. She used to chat with me untill now. recently noticed thag she stopped texting me and also didnt wish me on my birthday. I was hoping that she would wish me. I was disapointed.. Now I know that her reason for being my friend is now over and I need to move on

49. Naye Vlogz

January 24, 2019 at 11:21 pm

I was texting my friend and I’m rlly crying because I have no friends at the bus:(

50. Dr Bandana Sachan

February 2, 2019 at 12:10 pm

I am going to end my friendship with my best friend finally because she always punishes me by ignoring me not only for one day, she do this for many weeks. Sometimes I think that I work for her like a slave ( by the way sorry for my bad english)

51. Arturo Diaz

February 9, 2019 at 2:37 am

When it's time to walk away from a friendship, it really doesn't matter what you say or do. Most "people" that I've known just don't have a conscience. They don't give a flying fuck. I swore to myself when I have to send anyone to hell and tell them to stay there until hell freezes over I just do it. Enough is enough. Humanity just does not give a shit as to how they damage anyone else. If you let them get away with it, the message you give these born bastards is everything done to you was OK. Wrong!!!!!! Loyalty, honesty and other qualities you look for in others these days just don't exist any longer. These things went out the window many many moons ago. People change people change and so must you. So be it. You never truly know a person. That's why you always keep testing them.

52. Khia

February 21, 2019 at 2:24 am

i literally cried on this video because it’s sooooo hard for me to let go of my friendship. i’m at the point of my life where there is NOBODY but her 😭

53. Leanne Sakamaki

March 7, 2019 at 10:23 am

1 and half years many memories, just change because of having an relationship then they let go

54. Kumar Kshirsagar

March 10, 2019 at 2:22 am

I have to let go my best and ex which recently come in contact. I was struggling for almost 2.5 years in career and that struggling loss my ex and best friend move to other city but we always been in contact.
    Obviously after ex left me i was more crushed than ever. And i am that person who not want to talk about his feelings but my friend always asked questions which i don't want to answer.
    Fast forward to now, i am still bit of struggling but now little bit of stability in life. However my friend is getting bit of aggressive about his opinions and try to bash person in front by talking. It was always like that but in less amount, and i was fool enough to understand this. There always drag by him in life but i was ok with that, but now i can't keep it up.
    And about ex, she was always aggressive so there is not discussion about. After i got in contact with her which i initiated(or really wanted to talk to her). But honestly i made huge mistake, i think i should let her go too.
    Till this date i really care and focus on people who were close to me. But now i really wanted focus on my career which still not in perfect zone. First time ever i feel this about myself. I think i am doing right thing. Wish me luck

55. Melissa O'Connell

March 20, 2019 at 4:50 am

56. LegendoFRandomness 25

April 1, 2019 at 5:53 pm

I feel like i'm the bad guy in our friendship so i'm letting go. I wanna focus on myself and getting my life together…maybe we will meet each other again oneday when I've achieved my goal and am proud.

57. Aussiesteveification G

April 5, 2019 at 3:36 pm

I have recently ended a friendship . It was a very hard thing for me to do , And I’m still feeling guilty in many ways . But I still feel in my heart I did the right thing for the long term . The friendship was toxic with extreme ups and downs Causing much distress … The other person took this very badly when I cut ties . But three months down the track I have started to heal , and I have met new friends . People that make me feel good about myself , people that are positive… Then I would say it was worth it .

58. UniverseStars Stars

April 5, 2019 at 3:43 pm

I finally let go.

59. Ty Taylor

April 14, 2019 at 4:54 am

My best friend of 12 years told me today that he's moving to Chicago. I know our friendship is over and it's time to say goodbye. He hasn't been happy in Texas for quite a while and I know once Texas is in his rearview mirror that I'm going to be nothing but a memory and won't ever hear from him. I told him that because I know how he thinks. I'm hurting but I'll be okay. I'm just going to have to fight the urge to call, text or email him. If he truly values our friendship he'll make an attempt to stay in touch.

60. Twat Central

April 21, 2019 at 9:46 pm

This girl said she’s there for me whenever I need her like in terms of my depression but whenever I message she leaves me on read them in the last 2 weeks she stopped talking to me so I asked a friend to ask if me and the girl are ok and got told to f**k off she’s on the same course as me in college what do I do I have to see her Tuesday what do I do?

61. sunshine 849

April 22, 2019 at 4:13 pm

This wasn't really a friendship but when someone you're talking to online just says "bye" for no reason it's best not to fix it. If that person wants to be rude so be it. My life revolves around nobody.

62. Myfriendshop Blog

May 3, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Short story of someone that we know in some shape or form, that let's us down all the time… it is so hard to walk away from someone we know for a long time. https://myfriendshop.com/friendship-in-the-face-of-growth

63. Jess Fan

May 7, 2019 at 3:56 am

I have a long time best friend who I've already tried to end the friendship 4 times now and all those time they say that they will change or whatever excuse. We are still friends but it's not healthy for me because I do want to spend time with them but am unable because of our different values. Any advice? I know it sounds bad on my end since they are my best friend but it's really impacting on my life and i need to move on. Thank you for this video and any response to this comment.

64. Danica The Harmonizer And Camilizer

May 8, 2019 at 2:42 am

I wish you were my mommy😫❤

65. joyce jennings

May 9, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Wise words

66. Vaku Zaku

May 19, 2019 at 11:10 am

It was amazing and we had same vision but along the way I guess we lost track of it…. I will cut it off today

67. T.D. Newsh

May 21, 2019 at 10:24 pm

I heard this a few years a go an she is right…it happening just like this. Let go of friends that aren't good for you. And friends did come in place of that bad friend.

68. freedom fighters

May 23, 2019 at 8:21 am

Holy shit. This is exactly the situation im going through. Perfect advise. You seem like a intelligent lady.

69. Carolyn Devins

May 26, 2019 at 8:53 pm

70. Vixky Mo

May 30, 2019 at 12:49 am

Who's snoring there? I can hear snorings LOL. Other than that, thanks for the info

71. chui 1

June 1, 2019 at 2:01 am

No I ghost. Lol they don't deserve a explanation

72. Its jirio B

June 4, 2019 at 2:00 pm

I want to let go . But how can you do that if u see them everyday at school or that if their your classmate or the only person in class u talk to?

73. Michael Valdes

June 16, 2019 at 9:18 pm

What I really liked about your video is that you emphasize the power in stating "Hey our time is done…" It takes real courage to do that. People tolerate mediocre friendships way too much. I have walked away from old mates and it was very hard.
    I feel like what makes it difficult is that the culture that I come from emphasizes MORE. It pushes one to collect MORE mates on Facebook, be concerned with having MORE Instagram followers, find a home with MORE square footage. Also, I think the culture (American) raises its people to be "emotionally polite" so you are taught to "say things in a certain way" as opposed to being confrontational. We are rooted in a very "customer service" ethos so this holds us back from being daring and unleashing our social genius. For example, a lot of people like to "not say anything" to their semi-friends or their flawed friends and allow the meaningless connections to persist out of fear of being alone or a flawed belief that it is simply good to have a long list of friends as back-ups to take to the cinema with or last but not least, they like the charade of "seeming" to have one's s&%t together so it's good to meet up with old mates (even though deep down, they know these guys don't give too much of a crap about them but one is being socially-engineered to accept their fake tribe because you are trying to (subconsciously) be a douchebag TV character: you have to "appear" social because the void of being by yourself for the whole weekend is too awkward and too tough to handle.) The illusion keeps them from finding real solid friendships. I believe in the opposite. I believe in purging the loads of so-called friends in one's circle. I believe true success comes in thinking independently and applying that to friendships. I believe there is so much glory and happiness in knowing that you may have 2 great friends that love & care for you as opposed to ten glorified acquaintances. And the loneliness is tough indeed to swallow but the choice will pay huge dividends in the future. Thank you for a very lovely and empowering talk.

74. George Mallory

June 25, 2019 at 2:58 am

I feel like I am the only guy on these channels. That's indicative that "the boys are not ok."

75. Caroline Nz

June 26, 2019 at 1:24 am

This video changed my life. Thank you.

76. Kathleen71 J

June 27, 2019 at 4:45 am

I needed to see this. Thank you so much

77. Reena Kadri

July 2, 2019 at 12:07 am

I walked away from someone I considered my best friend since we were very young. It still hurts, still remember her and the memories we had. Anyone have any advice on how to get over it? The friendship wasn't okay. It shouldn't feel like you are putting in the effort, you are asking questions to keep up with their life, and they aren't there for you most importantly. You see them making effort with others and not with you. It hurts alot… losing friends breakup can be just as hard as a significant other.

78. YaggaYaggaYa

July 25, 2019 at 1:22 pm

I always ended up ghosting people because I realised they were toxic for me too late and, of course, I only went and replaced them with someone exactly the same. Now, I’m discovering the value in being along and learning to be more cautious or selective with whom I allow into my life. You won’t have to cut people off if you make the choice from the start.

79. M H

July 27, 2019 at 3:45 pm

I was alone as a child and bullied until I went to college.

At college I became so close with a group of friends

Problem is, we grew apart but I clung onto the memory and resented my growing exclusion from the group.

I'm coming to genuine acceptance of never seeing them again and trying to embrace my loneliness.

80. Gloria Valenzuela

July 29, 2019 at 1:51 am

I wrote a letter to a friend telling her I no longer was going to seek her out after she made an assumption about me that showed me she was behaving presumptuous. I told her that her assumption showed me that all we have in common at this stage in our lives are past memories of our youth. I wished her well and that was it.

81. Daniel Helderman

August 1, 2019 at 3:24 am

I love your video! Was very insightful.

82. zerea CRISTOS new

August 3, 2019 at 5:40 pm

A friend who's doing something wrong and don't know it hurt you why would you cut them off ? They didn't know and it ends there but usually if a friend is doing something that hurt you that is coz they know it hurts you and they want you to be hurt so that is the frenemy you need to remove from your life no explanation no nothing. And when you try to say I think we don't think alike or ….. It's better to stop our friendship they will be playing victim and everyone will think you are the selfish one or the wrong one or…… The silent retreat is better at list in my case she called I answer she say hi I say hi that is it we can be on the phone for 30 minutes not saying a word she say what is new I say nothing died silent she say why aren't you talking my answer you are not talking either so….
    This is the conversation we have with my ex best friend I was dealing with her shit for so long when I found out she's talking bad about me that ends it she was telling everyone all about me not only important things but also something silly like what i bought what i ate…. if she did something for me the whole world has to know about it when I did something for her it's a secret, anyways I'm not saying I'm perfect but I don't think I deserved all that bs

83. G Mont508

August 5, 2019 at 12:01 am

I get wat shes saying about enabling people when u let them abuse u…. But all u can do is control urself. U cant control wat others think and do so although i get wat shes saying about standing up for urself to give others the chance to change…. U can think.of it that way. But only consider others actions after u have mastered ur own

84. Worthy Beyond

August 14, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Thank you for this! It sometimes is hard to know whether you're just too sensitive and it will get better over time. If you are just in a habit of running away from uncomfortable situations and not wanting to face conflict and work on difficult issues. But you are soo right, when you're letting go of an unfulfilling friendship, it gives you more space and room for new, valuable friendships.

85. TaTa Grantt

August 21, 2019 at 4:14 am

Thank you! New subscriber❤️

86. Santi

September 1, 2019 at 5:06 am

I let go of someone who would skip my messages constantly, I would wait for them and had enough. I hope others will see this and let go of people who waste your time and energy.

87. Jane M Geddes

September 6, 2019 at 4:38 am

Friendships and people change. When I am hurt and disappointed by friends I focus on attracting people into my life who will love me and support me and just let the others go in a gradual way. Keep your focus on what you want not on what you don't. No need for drama and a big confrontation. They will get the message.

88. John Schaal

September 7, 2019 at 9:20 am

Some people you can’t let go of they won’t let you! You have to walk away!

89. Carina Queen

September 13, 2019 at 4:43 am

😭💯

90. Luna M

September 22, 2019 at 1:32 am

Wow…I loved what you’d said

91. Franny Fran

October 7, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Thank you so much. I needed to hear this.

92. mm 12

October 9, 2019 at 9:27 am

The worst is when you have a childhood best friend for about 33 years and you've known them all your life you say something wrong they walk away they never mention that there was a problem free years so you cannot fix it because they just don't tell you

93. Gina g

October 9, 2019 at 10:17 pm

I had to let go of a friend that couldn't ever be on time for our meet ups. After two years of being one to three hour late every time, I told her. She then got angry at me for expecting her to meet at our agreed time. I felt like my time wasn't important to her, that she didn't value me or our friendship. Sad!

94. Muhammad Imran

October 10, 2019 at 9:09 pm

I AM SERIOUSELY NEEDED GIRL FRIEND FOR REAL FRIENDSHIP FOREVER IN REAL LIFE I LOVE YOU FOREVER I LIKE YOU WELL YOU MERRY WITH ME … 😍😍😍😍💑💑 I AM SINGLE .. MEET ME FOR SERIOUSE LOVEING FRIENDSHIP NOW ..❤❤❤❤❤🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

95. goirkens

October 14, 2019 at 4:32 pm

I feel like I need to let go of someone who cares a lot about me and I him, but there's a lot of codependency and it's emotionally unhealthy for me.

96. Tuyen Ryan

October 18, 2019 at 5:04 am

Can anyone hear the snoring in the background? 😂

97. Gabija Zabarauskaitė

October 26, 2019 at 6:26 pm

I have four best friends…and i know two of them have been talking about me for days…and when they meet me, they just pretend that everything is okay…our friendship is falling apart, but i don't have any more friends without them…it's hard for me to make friends…i really don't know what to do

98. Krook Rock

October 28, 2019 at 3:14 am

Great breakdown. I needed this

99. noname privacyplease

November 1, 2019 at 5:24 am

I want to let go of a friend that is always brings me down I’m their only friend they got at school but it’s only their first semester but I everytime I’m around them I feel this big pit of loneliness and depression in my stomach. So I want to let them go because I can’t worrying about them because they won’t help themselves at all and they seem to made me their anchor and they like to guilt trip me for attention. I want to let them go but I have a class with and but I’m worrying about the timing because I don’t want it to be awkward or worse so what should so what should I do?

100. Rhoz Anne Bayani

November 13, 2019 at 8:09 am

People come and peole go