how to create the perfect study routine // back to school 2019

I believe that at least seventy percent of
your academic success comes from a solid study routine. A good set of learning habits and well-paced
study sessions go a long way in helping you achieve academic success next year. Perfecting your study routine is probably
the most important thing you can start doing right now, even before classes start. (1) organizing and (2) managing your time
are the two most crucial things you have to master to become a more mindful student. To build our perfect study routine we will
keep two principles in mind: scheduling all of your course work (with an exception) from
monday to friday and keeping your weekend free from any academic related tasks. There are some main rules to create a perfect
study routine: – 1) **Schedule short study sessions, every
day**. In most typical college schedules, your classes
will probably take a morning or an afternoon, or the equivalent of six to eight hours of
classes divided in multiple chunks of time. This means that you should manage the remaining
hours of the day to do most of your coursework, as well as taking enough time to take your
meals, relaxing and having the appropriate number of hours of sleep. In doing this, less is better – the best students
know how to schedule daily small chunks of deeply focused work, instead of cramming everything
once a week or right before the exam. You should forget the typical idea stating
that more time studying equals more memorisation or comprehension. In fact, studying for an extended period of
time without breaks may actually hurt your ability to learn your material.The goal here,
then, is to schedule one to three study sessions per day in your calendar. Usually, each study session (and that means
an uninterrupted stretch of time of focused work) should range from 20 minutes to one
hour. Whether you study for 20 , forty or sixty
minutes depends on a number of variables like your levels of energy, focus, your interest
on the learning material and even your comprehension of the subject. Harder topics may require a longer study session,
while easier topics may only need a 20 minute revision time. Interesting topics or problem sets can probably
be solved faster, since you are more motivated to work through them, then boring exercises. The secret is to understand that each session
should range from 20 minutes to 1 hour. After a session is complete you should take
a break from 5 to 15 minutes and after the break is over you can proceed to a second
study session continuing the same subject or related to other course. Since we are trying to maximize your effort
in less time, it’s recommended that you do no more than three focused study sessions
in a row. Our goal is to create a manageable and short
study routine that can be repeated daily and not an overwhelming period of reading and
problem solving that only happens once or twice a week. 2) **Schedule a longer buffer session per
week.** Although you should focus your efforts on small chunks of deep work during the week,
it’s a good idea to schedule a couple of hours per week as your buffer. You can use this to either consolidate past
materials created during the week or to make up for the time you’ve lost due to some unforeseen
event. An early morning or an evening during the
weekend is a great time to place your buffer in your schedule since it’s probably a more
flexible time for you and since it’s also the end of your weekly classes, you can use
it for any of your courses. Remember that the goal is to **not use your
buffer** but you should schedule it anyway so you know it’s there in case something goes
wrong during the week. If you’ve been organized and were able to
keep up with your schedule then you’ve just earned a couple of hours of time for yourself. 3) **Have strict time management habits.**
A good study routine can only be created and maintained with strict time management habits. And here I refer to time management as the
act of allotting specific study related tasks to specific slots of time or, in this case,
your short study sessions. This means that your short study sessions
shouldn’t comprise of an abstract selection of school work but rather an organized workflow
of tasks you need to complete. For instance, if you schedule a study session
in your calendar from 2 to 3 pm and just plan to study for your “European Politics” class,
that’s *bad* time management. When scheduling that event in your calendar,
you should already know what specific tasks you should be covering during that hour. For instance, a good example of this would
be planning to “read from page 15 to page 30” for European Politics and answer two discussion
questions. Another important point for strict time management
is that you should consistently go through the list of tasks you have to complete on
a certain day or week, evaluate them and move them around if needed. Basically, the first thing you should be worried
about is your own perception of the amount of work you have to go through- Organizing you study schedule in the correct
way will give you freedom to spend the remaining time reading, playing video games, going out
or simply stay at home and watch tv, but if you want to make the most out of your time
you can start watching documentaries with today’s sponsor, Curiosity Stream. CuriosityStream has thousands of documentaries
in different categories and was created by the original founder of Discovery. Since I’ve been learning about dogs lately,
the last documentary I watched was “Man’s First Friend”, which talks about how dogs
have shared their lives with us for the past twenty thousand years and protected and guided
us. As a special gift you can use the promo code
“study corner” or click the link in the description box to have a free 30-day membership, which
will give you more than enough time to watch “Man’s First Friend” as well as many other
documentaries in their list. It’s also available for a ton of different
devices so you can keep learning everywhere and after your free membership, it just costs
2.99 a month and I think that’s pretty cheap for almost unlimited learning opportunities. I hope you enjoyed today’s video and I will
see you next week. Bye guys!

1. Nah de Alencar X

August 17, 2019 at 3:23 pm

OMG are u Brazilian ?

2. HappyFace

August 17, 2019 at 5:14 pm

everyone just watches this to be aesthetic but dont actually do it because they are lazy.

3. Jessica Whitney

August 17, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Definitely going to rewatch this when I'm setting up my study schedule

4. Natalie Cauzo

August 17, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Mariana and what about people who has courses on weekends and a Monday to Friday job? I’m starting a course next month with that schedule and I have no idea how will I manage my time, it would be great if you could give me an advice or make a video putting yourself in that hypothetical escenario. I love your videos

5. Jozette Mina

August 17, 2019 at 7:16 pm

watch this video, it will change your life and perspective about everything.

6. Sana Sakamaki

August 17, 2019 at 8:59 pm

I’m procrastinating by watching how to not procrastinate

7. Might Aliphon

August 18, 2019 at 8:06 am

Still great vid. Keep it up. I'm a fan and it help me manage my lesson smarter. Regards

8. Jazz Perry

August 18, 2019 at 3:16 pm

this video is very helpful! This exactly solve the frustration that how I create a good study routine Thank you Marianna! ❤️❤️

9. Maariya Shireen

August 18, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Inspiring video

10. someone !

August 18, 2019 at 6:53 pm

as a highschooler it hurts every time she marks something in her book! like WE HAVE TO FING RETURN THE BOOK!!!!

11. Giuseppe Nativo

August 19, 2019 at 3:32 am

I like your videos, truly and I often watch them but I can't match many of your habits and suggestions with the ones that come from the famous Edx MOOCs "Learning how to learn" and "Mindshift". These classes are prepared by professionals in teaching and researching the neurosciences. Their main goal is to teach how to learn and how to shift your thoughts so to create a more plastic mind, clearly. I'm sure you are totally aware of this MOOCs.
    For example, I noticed that you underline continuously, using fluo markers. During the MOOC is explained well why this habit is considered wrong and it doesn't help. It does the opposite.
    Another example. Isolation is not considered a good thing. Maybe when you have to repeat and repeat a complex lesson, to memorize and sharp your speech, you need isolation. For all the other cases, a place with a little chatting is a very good place, cause it helps your brain to be distracted from time to time and assimilate the concepts.
    Finally, you suggested studying at any time. This assertion could be based on our chronotype, anyway, the reason why they don't suggest to study at night it's cause you should sleep and sleeping your cerebral fluids clean your entire brain from the "garbage" you produced during the entire day.
    There is more, much more but if you followed the classes you know what I'm talking about. If not, I invite you to give some time to this online classes and 'correct', if you desire it, your habits and not secondarily, the tips you give to the audience that is looking for a better study method to use at school.
    Have a very good day.

12. Sophia Rain

August 19, 2019 at 3:23 pm

I actually need the weekend to get my work done. I try to have one free day a week, but it doesn't work every week. Sometimes there is just too much to do.

13. Sophia Rain

August 19, 2019 at 3:31 pm

I have some work sheets to do every week. Problem with time blocking is: there is no chance to know how much time you will need beforehand. It is possible you get the right idea after 15 minutes, but it is also possible you are just staring at the exercises for hours, having no idea or every idea you have turns out to be not helpful at all..

14. Barbara Araújo

August 20, 2019 at 12:24 am

the latin textbook you showed in the video is the same one i'm using in my course this is so cool 😀 thanks for all your advices you're helping me a lot 🙂

15. Je crée et alors ?

August 20, 2019 at 7:28 pm

"Keep your weekends free" ;-; I have classes on Saturday morning

16. diy guys

August 22, 2019 at 3:07 am

before seeing the video iam very weak in academics today iam the best
    thanks for your support you are the great

17. Chiara M.

August 22, 2019 at 7:29 pm

What app do you use for schedule?

18. Soniabin

August 23, 2019 at 2:32 pm

I love organisation and I love this Channel 😍🙌🏻
    I have also a YouTube channel and I thing that is not easy to have time for study and do videos every week !
    But I want to try because I love it 😊😍🙌🏻

19. Subashini Senthil Kumar

August 24, 2019 at 6:13 am

Thank you madam for your precious advise

20. Lakshmi Kesari

August 25, 2019 at 1:41 pm

I observed that you have a printed schedule to plan like with dates and time or something like that, can you please share it or make a video on how to make a similar schedule?? Please it would be really helpful 🙂

21. Vientje Dall

August 27, 2019 at 8:47 pm

then what about homework?
    if i have to study for a test and do homework how to i do that 1 to 3 task a day and also a write a paper hould i put that apart or …

22. Tobillito Davinci

August 28, 2019 at 12:00 pm

We have the same Latin book at our high school! LOL

23. Karen Y

August 31, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Thank you! My school year is starting very soon and I needed this video!

24. Allison reitz

August 31, 2019 at 11:56 pm

Oof school starts in two days

25. Julia Yurchyshyn

September 2, 2019 at 7:38 pm

What should i do during the 5minutes breaks?

26. Madalena Polónio

September 3, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Olá Mariana! Alguma dica para quem vai agora para a faculdade? Beijinhos

27. laotravida

September 5, 2019 at 8:08 am

My minor literally schedules in all the reading work for after class, on our free days, and the weekend has double the amount + teamwork assignments. I wish I could keep my weekends free.

28. Nastya Ivaskova

September 9, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Боже, американцы, у вас одни и те же видео про учёбу, с одной и тойже музыкой, словами. Бесите. У нас хотя-бы в России такого огромного множества нету. Хоть разнобразие есть.

29. Márcia Silva

September 10, 2019 at 9:46 am

Olá Mariana, adorei este vídeo. Vou começar o meu segundo ano da universidade e vou aplicar as tuas dicas. Já agora, por acaso pensas em fazer podcasts? Beijinhos

30. Miss. ArtMind

September 16, 2019 at 4:27 pm

Ok I hate u for using hightlighters on booooooks!
    Ahahah anyway I really like that u give me a lot of motivation! My worst problem in study is that I procrastinate a lot, Idk why and in every session of exams I swear to myself that I won't do that this time.. But I alaways do. Somebody help me!

31. Tan D

September 21, 2019 at 10:40 am

Your voice is so soothing and i love your accent💜

32. Natalia Vicente

September 22, 2019 at 11:37 am

I think this works for letter related studies, but not for science

33. Sara Hazas

September 25, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Hi guys, it will mean the world to me if you watch my new video on YouTube and leave a comment, don’t forget to like and subscribe if you liked it.
    I hope you had/have a great day 🥰

34. Chiara Milesi

September 26, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Omg I have Familia Romana too HAHA

35. finn rose

September 27, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Liked the video but I don’t understand how we are supposed to keep weekends free. Even following all the tips you gave in this video, it would be impossible for me as a high school student to do so; I simple have too much homework and tests.

36. Chamallow

September 28, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Is it really possible to keep your Week-end free when you have classes from 8 to 5 and a LOT to do ?