Evo-Devo (Despacito Biology Parody) | A Capella Science

Hi Huxley B.mac Oh Carroll, Carroll Gould Stephen Jay yeah Davidson and Peter Go See, one cell divide and decide on a thousand fates Did you ever figure how they know? B. Mac We are built of modules combined in a planned out way Each new piece must be told where to go Oh Now, there’s a science helping us to understand How our cells encode this architectural plan Signalling each other with genetic tools oh Oh yeah Wow, phenotype the interface for mouse and man Genotype the files and the subprograms What the are the switches, circuit boards and boot code? Evo devo Looking at the logic in the ways that we grow Every gene directed by a signal key code Proteins that can activate, enhance or veto Evo devo [Abrev. evolutionary development biology ] Signals are controlled by other genes that signal Calculating in a network labyrinthal, where the heart and liver and the hands and feet go (Signal x5) Signal mapping tells each region where it ought to be yo With circuits so deeply built upon They’re older than the paleo. The Paleozoic era baby In a crucial pathway changes tend to get torpedoed. Where they go calamity goes As the cyclopic sheep knows See down the cascade like a domino. Like you and I drosophila. The path that makes us optical Was laid a long long time ago. Back before we blew up the Cambrian like a bomb bomb Now my eye protein can make you see out of your bom bom And hedgehog and its relatives, like Indian and Sonic. Set up, set up in a gradient on segments embryonic Split forebrains and asymmetric parts depend upon it. flipping on genetic switches and logic From devo to evo, adult and embryo, mostly don’t evolve in the genes of the genome Safer the mutation, aimed at regulation Keep the building blocks and swap their activation From devo to evo, parts have alter egos. Homologs evolved from repeats in the schema Switch a couple bases in the proper places, you’ll be watching flies grow legs out of their faces Oh yeah Evo devo Stick around for Modern Synthesis, the sequal, only by combining can a new theory grow Evolution and development “amigos” Evo devo Signals trigger patterns of complexity so, switching up the switches of a signalling node Gives a modular and simple way to evolve (switches x5) Look at how our spinal segments generate a neat row Built on a molecular clock One cycle, one vertebra.
One vertebra, one vertebra baby Speeding up its rate is snakes’ developmental cheat code That and where a lizard’s feet grow They turn off distal aminos Evo devo This is how we go from single cells to people, every generation and in life primeval Life in variations endless and beautiful Badaboom! From devo to evo, larva to mosquito. Patterns are resolved as the signals proceed yo Map out a gene with a glow tag, kill it with a morpholino Short for oligo morpholigo baby From evo to devo, voyage of the Beagle, body plans evolve when proteins steer their genome In this manner life’s beauty grows. Aesthetica in vivo Evo devo ()

1. Fahim Shahariyar

August 30, 2019 at 5:39 am

Dislikers perhaps didn't understand the meaning of the song….

2. RightPurpose

August 30, 2019 at 11:19 am

When your Mother wants u to be a Musician but ur Father want u to be a scientist…

3. Samyak Jain

August 30, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Loved it lived it ❤️

4. J J I T

September 2, 2019 at 10:58 am

1:44 OH.MY.GOD. Somebody call Satan to take back his wife.

5. Thomas Gonzales

September 2, 2019 at 12:05 pm

W H Y ?

6. Haseeb Razak

September 3, 2019 at 4:24 am

hey man….pls write it in commerce grp version

7. Jagannath Swain

September 5, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Wow🥰🥰

8. Sachin Patel

September 6, 2019 at 6:10 am

Dude that was simply impressive and awesome 👍…

9. Grace Mirchia

September 6, 2019 at 11:21 pm

I regret how i can only give you a like and sucscribe for this masterpiece

10. Russell whisenant

September 7, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Liked the song. There were a few points where you seem to be thinking of meta-genetics rather than Evo-Devo, but other than that I loved it.

11. Pratik Brahma

September 8, 2019 at 3:36 am

When I get demotivated studying biology, I comeback to this and get hyped to study bio again.

12. Jônatas Gomes

September 8, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Português!

13. XLone WolfX

September 9, 2019 at 8:42 am

I'm an engineering student but now i wanna study medical

14. Jennifer Lowe

September 11, 2019 at 5:00 pm

I LOVE your science songs! I teach AP Biology (and previously, AP Chemistry) so I use them in class when I can (I like the other songs too – fun, catchy, musically awesome and CORRECT!) Teaching regulation of gene expression now and was looking for something related to operons and also regulation in Eukaryotic cells (EVO DEVO hits part of it). I teach at an international school where English is typically not the mother tongue so operons are hard – with the vocab. Would love someone like you (or you!) to make a song around this. I use your CRISPR-cas9 song in another class where we talk about ethical issues in science with a focus on genetics – love that one too. Thank you for creating these!

15. Furret Furret

September 12, 2019 at 5:03 pm

A cyclopic sheep??creepy

16. 『 A Đ ł 』

September 14, 2019 at 2:41 am

September 2019..???

17. 賴TERRYLAITW

September 14, 2019 at 3:44 am

Imagine a bio teacher played this song and said "There, that's about it….The exam is on next week, good luck!"

18. MMA Mma

September 15, 2019 at 3:28 am

I Likes your every videos I AM BIG FAN OF YOU

19. Kalaki 9

September 15, 2019 at 3:47 am

Friends : What type of music do you like to hear ?
    Me : It's complicated

20. Juan Carlos Gallego-Gomez

September 16, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Congrats! I´m Colombian scientist and really I don´t like Despacito, but in this Evo-Devo version sounds great. Additionally, it will be useful for my classes in Evolution in Medicine Faculty.

21. mars ren

September 17, 2019 at 10:37 am

Darwin will be proud

22. Lorenzo Lovato

September 18, 2019 at 1:52 am

I have my embryology exam in 3 days, if I don't pass it I'll sue you. Great video, keep it up ❤️

23. nospecialmeaning

September 18, 2019 at 4:47 pm

It's hilarious how weirdly educational those songs are :'D
    Okay, guys, I am studying this right now.

24. Brittni Myers

September 18, 2019 at 11:43 pm

Fuck your music makes me so happy

25. mr. gamer

September 19, 2019 at 2:52 am

just subscribed
    haven't found a channel like this worth that subscribe button since long

26. Yashita Creations

September 19, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Love 😍 it!

27. AmKam Omega

September 20, 2019 at 6:41 pm

This is better than the original

28. Utony Nguyen

September 21, 2019 at 10:00 am

Tôi lạy ông nào "voyage of the Beagle" dịch vietsub thành cướp biển caribê, devo dịch là "thoái" :((

29. Steve Austin

September 21, 2019 at 1:57 pm

I realise this is a long ago comment. But thank you., I appreciate this at a level you would not appreciate.

30. The Art Apprentice

September 21, 2019 at 6:30 pm

WHY DIDN`T YOUTUBE SHOW ME THIS WHEN I WAS STILL IN GRADUATION?? Man, as a Biologist, I am simply in love with this song and the lyrics are perfect!

31. Mentalatics

September 23, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I'm a Physicist what the heck I am doing here !

32. Kazi Jumanah Anjum Nuha

September 23, 2019 at 4:45 pm

I just love it♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

33. Buxees Singh

September 24, 2019 at 2:39 am

Q: Are we not men and women?
    A: We are evo-DEVO!

34. Danio rerio

September 25, 2019 at 9:41 am

I'm doing my PhD in developmental biology, and I love this song. There is one more book I'd like to recommend to all those who are interested in our evolutionary heritage and who the same molecular mechanisms still shape our body plans: "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin.
    Unfortunately, I have to be the smartass now because there are some inaccuracies. The "molecular clock" doesn't generate the vertebrae directly, but the somites, but one somite does not correspond to one vertebra. Instead, the posterior part of the anterior somite fuses with the anterior part of the following somite and so on (https://dev.biologists.org/content/develop/142/10/1733/F4.large.jpg?width=800&height=600&carousel=1), similar to the hemisegments in insects. The other thing I do not really get is why micrbiology is listed as part of developmental biology. Developmental biology deals with multicellular organisms, and the only overlap I see is colony-forming eukaryotes. Of course, evolutionary biology does not only deal with multicellular organisms, but also with microorganisms, but I don't see any overlap between all three disciplines.
    Besides that, a really accurate vie on the principles of develoopment and how they are modified and reused during evolution!

35. Alfredo Urbina

September 27, 2019 at 1:00 am

Also evolution advances despacito.

36. Kathen Annie

September 27, 2019 at 5:34 am

Nghiện chết t rồi :))

37. mr stranger

September 27, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Alexa play Evo-Devo

De$pacito iNtEnSiFiEs

38. rafi Gillani

September 27, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Who thinks its most underrated? 😕😂
    👇👇

39. Omansh Sharma

September 28, 2019 at 12:27 pm

For me this song is as understandable as the original one😂

40. liaisonforest hcts

September 29, 2019 at 8:19 am

The only problem I had with Despacito was lyrics, u fixed it

41. Michael Trịnh

September 30, 2019 at 2:17 am

this is so good ~

42. Reshma 18

October 1, 2019 at 3:12 am

OMG it's awesome man👍👍

43. Olivia Marie Correia

October 1, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Why does it sound so interesting and fun but when Studying it become so boring every time !?

44. Faruk Eroğlu

October 1, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Better than Despacito

45. Unconvertible Atheist

October 2, 2019 at 10:00 am

If talents were determined by genes……this guy is the perfect combination of all of the genes

46. Ernest Gasp

October 3, 2019 at 3:22 am

The Spanish comment you were looking for.
    😁

47. Rob Nichols

October 4, 2019 at 12:10 am

The fact that this only has 2.9 M views makes me lose faith in humanity

48. Wayne Searle

October 4, 2019 at 6:08 am

I can't even remember the original now. Thank you.

49. Dakshta Dagar

October 4, 2019 at 2:25 pm

You really deserve a whole lot more subscribers and views… that's what I call true talent.
    Great work by you and your team.

50. ahmed play

October 4, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Barrado😀😀😀🙏🙏🙏

51. flufflepufflover

October 5, 2019 at 9:56 am

For a sec, I thought you meant Aldous Huxley.

52. Anastasiia Tsybina

October 5, 2019 at 4:53 pm

SO AWESOME 😍😍😍

53. Godfather

October 6, 2019 at 3:16 am

Great and unbelievable job !! That's when an art goes with science will produce such things like this. Well done 👍🏻

54. Ramekbal Singh

October 6, 2019 at 12:25 pm

No mention of Darwin outside of the beagle? Dang

55. Juan Carlos Gallego-Gomez

October 6, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Hi! your video is incredible!! woaw!! I´m writing my phd project and I need reference this wonderful video. Who is the author? Could you give me a hand please?….very fast please

56. Remi Mantri

October 7, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Respect

57. Doorva Verma

October 8, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Wow wow wow

58. Rebecca Jones

October 8, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Why is that better than the original

59. Anber

October 10, 2019 at 6:27 am

My professor showed us this in class. 🙂

60. badassoverlordzetta

October 10, 2019 at 10:09 am

I've never been a great student of the sciences, but this was an absolute joy to listen to XD

Keep on being awesome!

61. evangeline mcluck

October 11, 2019 at 5:17 am

Out of your bom bom

62. Twitch_StarLord_

October 12, 2019 at 1:35 am

Lol nice.

~Just a Random Forgotten Starry.

63. Angela Ratliff

October 16, 2019 at 11:43 am

Ohh I get it

64. Erwahl

October 17, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Shoutout to Baldo for playing this in BIOE 20C

65. MUSIC LOVER A.R.M.Y

October 17, 2019 at 8:30 pm

hahahah😂😂

66. HappyConstructor

October 18, 2019 at 2:15 am

Alien visiting Earth: so this is what all of your music is like?
    Me: In a perfect world…

67. Morghena

October 18, 2019 at 11:46 am

I need "Switch a couple bases in the proper places, you'll be watching flies grow legs out of their faces" on a T-shirt. ASAP

68. Nicole Álvarez

October 19, 2019 at 2:01 am

I hope I'd seen this before failing in my exam

69. Evan Jackson

October 19, 2019 at 6:40 am

This makes me so incredibly happy for some reason. I love this video so much!

70. Surfer7901

October 19, 2019 at 11:25 am

This is 'cool' and slick, and I would truly admire it, and otherwise award it 10 out of 10 if it were speaking something of the truth. But there is only one problem. "..How we go from single cells to people" it is not.
    Where does the encoded logic itself – (the blue-print data and code for even the mere design of the cell, and even more, its interactions and communications with other cells and developing tissues) – come from, where what is being suggested here is that there is an evolutionary process that generates information? This assertion – that meaningful information and design for the most complex things (living cells) can just develop naturally, lacks any scientific evidence whatsoever, and is contrary to established science: It is in fact far more demanding of belief than people realize. It is as startling as declaring that, given enough time, the Windows version 1 operating system could appear within a supercomputer, and eventually develop itself into a secure and flexible OS like Windows 10. (I may not be a great fan of Microsoft Windows, but as anyone knows, this has taken 40 years to develop, in which millions of man-days of engineering effort was given to develop to its current state. Many of the people who worked at Microsoft in the 1980-90's are no longer with us. That is how much effort it took to build it; let alone actually make the application software tools which I use and develop myself, after having a career in biology).
    The problem is that biologists (and I was one) can map the apparent relationships between genes and their encode/decode mechanisms. However, they have assumed that the logic for all systems of life can arise by undirected processes; that there is no guide or logos (logical design) required to create any part of that blue-print for the coded logic. This is a delusion, and is the same as stating that this fun but misleading video could simply arise by itself on the web by chance over millions of years. Nothing like this is possible, because, as we all know, effort (thinking, planning and logical decision making) is required to make anything which has a function and which interacts in any repeatable way with anything else. Biologists perhaps need to do a course module in information science before they start to grow their understanding of genetics. This is the mathematical, logical, science of what information is, where it comes from, how it is recognised by systems – i.e. what systems which use it require to implement encode/decode mechanisms. Speech and language, further flexibly integrated in graphical form, for example, is a set of encode/decode systems. Speech required a logical mind, the human mind, to develop, and for people to decide on certain aspects of language structure from which further development of useful languages came. In that sense, languages did evolve. But the information processing algorithms on which language comprehension and encode/decode depend – Where did that come from? Accident? This video would have to suggest that it was accidental, or that it developed by chance discovery or 'opportunity'. What else is their if no purposeful design is allowed to be considered?
    So many want to assume that, somehow, no matter what is discovered about the complexity and design of living things, we don't ever need a designer to explain it. This is scientifically fundamentally false. As an engineer, I can assure you that even the simplest design requires a lot of human effort to make sure it works and that the 'product', whether code or a physical object, will not fail when it is built. Even a child building a tower of Lego bricks knows that the tower will not build itself if the bucket of bricks is thrown into the air and allowed to fall to the floor a billion x trillion times. It will NEVER ever happen; not even once. Yet each protein's construction, let alone its function, is more complex that a complex Lego brick tower by a long, long way.
    Information (conveying function, design engineering, and process) in any system requires a mind to design it, or it cannot exist. The simplest protein that has a purpose in the plant cell (and there are thousands upon thousands of proteins which all have a job to do) has an exquisite specific purpose.
    In the beginning, there WAS information, and that information had to have a designer, or there could not be any of these processes present on Earth. Life could not be, without it. This is a scientifically accurate statement that does not defy logic, but accepts logic itself came from somewhere; unlike evo-devo theory which promotes the non-science of evolutionism.

71. devansh banga

October 19, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Amazing!! Finally able to understand despacito!!loved it !
    Since I'm a science nerd, can't get this outta my head

72. Durjoy Khalid

October 26, 2019 at 10:34 am

this dude ripped off yer vid pal

73. pitamber bani

October 26, 2019 at 2:24 pm

with this theory you can now change the physical structure of people, modifying the lungs to gills, just in case global warming melts the ice caps causing there to be no more land, CAN'T YOU?????

74. Artur LL

October 26, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Laura Nuño de la Rosa, Teoría de la evolución y teleología

Gustavo Bueno, Emergencia y anamórfosis

75. Jascha Bull

October 27, 2019 at 8:41 am

Has this channel ever made anything out of One Week by Barenaked Ladies? That was my go-to song for memorizing exam material. I still remember the chorus and bridge from my version of it I used to memorize botany… Nothing as brilliant as this vocabulary genius, though.

76. AsBaTh AhMeD

October 28, 2019 at 9:54 am

Its BIOCITO😍😍

77. Rachel Knetsch

October 28, 2019 at 9:11 pm

I study biology and i use this to study for my test! 🧐😝

78. K J

October 29, 2019 at 7:23 am

You deserve a standing ovation for this!

79. Vorname Nachname

October 29, 2019 at 2:11 pm

In 2017 I discovered this song, a week ago I started studying Biodiversity and Ecology at University. Three years from now, when I've got my Bachelors degree I shall come here and edit this comment.

80. Hari Krishnan V R

October 31, 2019 at 11:03 am

Malayalees illee?

81. taffyjones12

November 1, 2019 at 1:04 am

A capella is human voice only! However great video , appreciate this as a biological scientist & may surprise some of you, a Catholic. the beauty & mystery of Evolution is compatible with modern Christian views

82. Pilar Barbosa

November 1, 2019 at 10:00 am

❤️

83. Erwin Rommel

November 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm

So what actually came first the egg or the chicken?

84. TECHtutorials

November 1, 2019 at 9:00 pm

THIS is SO MUCH better than original!

85. Honicator 69

November 2, 2019 at 11:58 pm

dayum… nice song mate!

86. Gracie Mosko

November 9, 2019 at 6:21 pm

EVolution isnt reaL! If you don't believe me, ill point you to my science textbook in school

87. Settra91

November 9, 2019 at 10:30 pm

Honestly this song is one of the reasons that keep me going with my degree in biology and biomedics applications, i listen to the song and remember why i'm doing this.

88. Amrit Mantar Leroy Garcia

November 13, 2019 at 12:49 am

I really liked that Sonic reference you put in the song! No, I didn't like it. I LOVED it!

89. Paul TheSkeptic

November 13, 2019 at 1:06 am

Maybe this sounds corny but I'd like to make this comment in the form of a compliment sandwich. So, the music was very well written and performed. Great music.

This is not evo devo. I don't know why you called it that because this is not evo devo.

The science in this video was very informative and though it was very fast, it seemed accurate as far as I can tell. So kudos, wtf?, and another kudos.

90. Rais Hassan

November 13, 2019 at 3:58 am

Anybody?? Listening in November 2019??

91. Nisarg Bhatt

November 14, 2019 at 1:21 am

Tim's friend: Raps have the cleverest lyrics.
    Tim: Hold my textbooks,

92. Urban Ogre

November 14, 2019 at 9:18 pm

Prof showed this to us in class at the beginning of the semester. Just wanted to say this is Cringey as FUCK. Please, if you're seeing this, don't put another class through this.

93. Christian Gingras

November 15, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Illustration of the way small change in the genes can have ripple effect, affecting many body parts.
    Even a simple single cell already has most of the mechanism that complex animals need.
    The animation attempt to show data tree structure, a logical understanding that emerge after years of reverse engineering.

94. Christian Gingras

November 15, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Randy Rainbow did the same thing 2 years ago. But instead of science, he used politic.
    Desperate Cheeto is the title. He also replaced the cacophonic parts of the original with enhancements of his own.

95. Lifeof Wanderlust

November 16, 2019 at 2:36 pm

well this cheered up my study session 😂❤️

96. Rubena Alexander

November 17, 2019 at 12:52 pm

The evo-devo bit is mildly triggering. I expected you to say despacito but than you don't. It hurt so badly.