Environmental Engineer – Careers in Science and Engineering

I think often times the public
takes for granted that they have clean water to drink and
that they have enough
clean water to drink, but that is something
that people are working
very hard to ensure. We want people to have
confidence that that
water will be healthy. They don’t need to
buy bottled water. My name is Tamar Losleben. I am an environmental engineer
with Malcolm Pirnie. I work in New York City. Environmental engineering is
really where public health and
environmental needs meet. Environmental engineers
work with cleaning up contamination or preventing
contamination of the air,
soil and water. we study where there could be
an impact on the environment or people’s health and we
create solutions to try
and mitigate that impact. [ANNCR] TAMAR’S AREA OF SPECIALTY IS WATER ENGINEERING.
SPECIFICALLY, WATER TREATMENT. [Tamar] So I’m here at a
friend’s house and I’m here to test um lead in the water
because often in a these old houses that were built maybe 50
or 100 years ago there’s concern about lead in the water. I’m
collecting samples to make
sure that the water is safe. At Malcolm Pirnie
I work on a lot of different types of projects.
Anything from determining water storage needs or disinfection
needs, upgrading drinking water facilities or
wastewater facilities. Doing overall master
planning. I also look at
the sustainability of projects and that is
something that we are very
much focused on now. [Tamar] I am working on a
project in Nassau County Long Island at the Bay Park
Sewage Treatment plant… [Shila] we are working with
the NY state department of
environmental conservation to meet the
stricter regulations that they have put on us to remove the
proper amount of chlorine
and dissolved oxygen from the waste water
leaving the plant and
entering the water bodies. So Tamar is working
with us here to monitor the levels of the
dissolved oxygen and the
chlorine. [ANCCR] WORKING FOR AN
ENGINEERING FIRM PROVIDES TAMAR AN OPPORTUNITY TO WORK ON A
VARIETY OF PROJECTS AND TO SPEND LOS OF TIME OUTDOORS,
WHICH SHE LOVES. I like to start my day
outside, whether its running or
surfing in the morning or biking to work. My working
environment is a mix. I sometimes work in the
office…other days
I’ll head to the field I quite like my hours that I
work. It’s usually a 40 hour
week. We’re here at Meadow Lake
in New York City and I’m taking a sample of the lake
water to test for turbidity. I basically want to understand
if there are a lot of particles that are suspended in the water.
It’s about 30, which is higher than what we would want for
drinking water, but for swimming and recreational
purposes, that’s fine. [Tamar] We’re in Jackson
Heights. This is the
little India of NYC. I love it here there’s
so many cultures, so many
colors and reminds me of my childhood. I grew up in
India, Kenya and Egypt.
There’s just so much here. [ANNCR] LIVING IN LARGE
INTERNATIONAL CITIES, TAMAR HAS SEEN FIRST HAND
HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO BALANCE URBAN GROWTH WITH
PRESERVING AND PROTECTING
THE ENVIRONMENT. SHE KNEW EARLY ON THAT
THIS IS HOW SHE WANTED TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.
SHE DEVOTES MUCH OF HER TIME TO ORGANIZATIONS LIKE
ENGINEERS WITHOUT BORDER. [Tamar] People can learn how
to make it and reconstruct
it and if it breaks it coast about ten or
fifteen dollars to make [Colleague] That’s a very
good solution. That’s a very
good innovative solution. [Tammar] In El Salvador I
worked with a community that built one of them and
they’re still using it. [ANNCR] AS A PROJECT LEAD FOR
ENGINEERS WITHOUT BOARDERS
TAMAR HAS WORKED HANDS ON WITH TEAM
MEMBERS AND LOCAL COMMUNITIES IN CONSTRUCTING WATER STORAGE,
DISTRIBUTION, AND PURIFICATION SYSTEMS FOR SMALL VILLAGES
IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES. TAMAR IS PASSIONATE ABOUT
SHARING HER EXPERIENCES WITH
LIKE MINDED COLLEAGUES. [Tamar] About half of the
population in developing countries lacked access to
proper sanitation or even just improved sanitation. They
don’t have a latrine to use. And one out of six people
don’t have access to an
improved water source. So they are drinking
water that could potentially make them sick or
they could even die from. I know as an environmental
engineer that I impact
people’s lives and hopefully they are
healthy because of that. When I work abroad I see
the impact directly. You
know people, it changes people’s lives. They now have a water tap or
they are not getting sick
and we can talk about it. I can see it. I can see their
joy and how thankful they are. [ANNCR] LIKE MANY WATER
ENGINEERS, TAMAR FINDS HERSELF
BOTH WORKING AND PLAYING IN AND AROUND WATER. We’re at Rockaway beach in New
York and we’re heading out to the ocean to see if
there’s some little waves
to catch this morning. When I am surfing I see
a lot of marine life. I have seen porpoises
and I see whales Pretty big whale, I don’t know
what kind, but it jumped in the air twice and just went down I
also love to uh bike around the city into Central Park along the
rivers and I sometimes bring my paints I grew up really
intrigued by nature and found that I just had this
desire to try and capture
some of the beauty. Environmental engineers are
very much optimists and I think sometimes we are confused
for idealists, but its just that we see an issue or something
that could be mitigated. Something that is damaging the
environment or people and we have ideas of how to solve that
problem and it may not be a perfect solutions at first, but
we return to the problems and we keep on working on them and I
think that is the hope that we have is that things
can be better. [ANNCR] ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERS
LIKE TAMAR ARE EXPERTS IN AREAS
LIKE POLLUTION CONTROL, INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE, HAZARDOUS
WASTE MANAGEMENT, WATER SUPPLY, RADIATION PROTECTION, WASTEWATER
MANAGEMENT, PUBLIC HEALTH AND LAND MANAGEMENT. THEY MAY WORK
IN ENGINEERING FIRMS, UNIVERSITIES, PRIVATE RESEARCH
FIRMS, CORPORATIONS, TESTING LABORATORIES, AND GOVERNMENT
AGENCIES OF ALL TYPES. I would say someone who
wants to be an environmental
engineer should have an interest in
people and in science
and be strong in math. We use a lot of chemistry. We
do calculations on dosages, on flow rates uh but I think
someone who has a strong interest in science and
people would be a good
environmental engineer. [ANNCR] ENVIRONMENTAL
ENGINEERS TYPICALLY HOLD A BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN
ENGINEERING. THIS CAN BE CIVIL, MECHANICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL.
MOST CONTINUE AND GET A MASTERS DEGREE IN ENVIRONMENTAL
ENGINEERING. engineering is a field that
has historically been
dominated by men but I do see that changing in my generation
and I am encouraged by it. My supervisor is a wonderful
woman engineer. Great leader. My dream is to work abroad on
international water projects to help people get better access
to clean, safe, water. Water is a need that is
global and I think that need will be there and so will
environmental engineers

1. DariusSlimy

February 14, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Excellent

2. Rouni Adel

March 25, 2013 at 9:15 pm

yes, it is possible.

3. PlayfulWolfPup

April 27, 2013 at 6:26 am

I could do this for the rest of my life

4. Natalie Capasso

May 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Yes. But if you haven't received that degree yet, I would major in Environmental Science so that your career path may be open to a variety of things.

5. Aarthi Mohan

June 6, 2013 at 7:19 am

hey i am a civil engineer!this is precisely my interest.Going to pursue masters in environmental engineering very soon!would love to go through related videos that can educate me about the prospects and also update me with the latest technologies involved.

6. impactsignal

June 27, 2013 at 1:16 am

I work in the NYSDEC in the water department!

7. PUBG Play of the Game

July 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Probably drives to Long Island, after all she did a project there and Jones beach is about 1 hr away.

8. DeuceDs

July 28, 2013 at 4:08 am

I think i would love do this, but im not very good at math.

9. 1TICKHAND

August 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I love my job

10. ginanjarT

August 12, 2013 at 4:16 am

love this video

11. Zeid Bitar

September 4, 2013 at 7:15 pm

math is needed for universities and degrees. But as for the job itself, environmental engineers are more focused on biological and chemical matters.

12. chill3n456

February 21, 2014 at 4:44 am

How does the future in this field look? I'm very interested in environmental engineering, but I also don't want to be unemployed too long. I hope I don't sound selfish. D:

13. Chandler Landrum

March 19, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Very inspiring video! As a high school student, i'm considering exploring this field in college.

14. Eugene Nits

April 7, 2014 at 5:42 am

Is she a PHD or an Undergraduate ?

15. Priscilla Carrera

May 1, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I think i just found my hero!! xD
    She's so admirable. I want to go to school for environmental engineering too. This just sealed the deal for me! agh, so inspired. <3

16. Yerbol Akmurzin

June 6, 2014 at 10:07 am

Супер! Есть шанс устроится на работу в Вашу организацию?

17. Nocktuk Daze

August 7, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Dang, I want to do this now. What type of environmental engineers help lions?

18. SuperBlacksuperhero DaGOD

August 10, 2014 at 7:38 pm

don't buy bottled water? only if you want to drink fluoride

19. The Idea Vault

December 15, 2014 at 6:57 pm

awesome! she probably has a amazing home too!! money to travel, have fun and give back to the world.

20. nekoco

February 1, 2015 at 5:47 am

thank you for sub. it's really helpful

21. Thicha Suttikul

February 1, 2015 at 6:47 am

Thank you for making a very very good video. I'm studying environmental engineering and find this so inspiring. I wanna be like her XD

22. GRE Verbiage

February 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Imagine taking water samples on a cold winter day when you are over 40-50 and your back hurts. Not the best career in the long term.

23. V Ling

February 16, 2015 at 6:42 am

Are Environmental Engineers usually Chem E or something……..my school offers a relatively obscure "Energy Engineering" degree. I'm thinking about taking it….switching over from Mechanical.

24. Ray Smith

March 25, 2015 at 9:56 am

Soil and Groundwater Profiling for Disposal and/or Re-use Purposes

25. Brian Shaw

May 29, 2015 at 2:37 am

We're going to need more environmental engineers to undo the damage you do by sustaining more humans on this earth.

26. sundance ૐ

June 27, 2015 at 6:50 am

This has helped me decided what I want to major in for sure. Very inspiring!

27. Heal the Harbor Research Institute

July 8, 2015 at 4:51 am

Environmental Engineers check out Oil Spill Freeze Salvage now playing on You Tube under Oil Spill Solution. What do you think: Is salvage better than dispersants, sinking agents or making oil into a solid waste?

28. Leesi bright

August 13, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Hello My name is Leesi Barinem and I love this video! I am pursuing an environmental engineering degree and my focus is water technology. I attained an Anthropology degree as an undergraduate and I would like to transition into a STEM career. Do you have advise, when it comes to job/internships that will provide funding opportunities for graduate programs? Thanks for sharing your story Ms. Losleben!

29. Kasun Samarasiri

September 4, 2015 at 4:58 am

I've done my bachelor's in chemical and process engineering & now I'm focusing on water treatment area for my postgraduate studies in environmental engineering. Really interesting video which implies the importance of improving the quality of the portable water. Thanks for sharing!

30. Alexis Gómez Salinas

December 4, 2015 at 5:02 pm

How much does she earn per year ?

31. Francois Bornancin

December 11, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Engineers but also governments and ecologists need to work together to save our world! https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=aWv5OS1gc1k&app=desktop

32. Gagan Preet

December 27, 2015 at 12:10 pm

i have btech in civil and mtech in enviromental and i unable to find jobs specific for enviromental engg here in india (no jobs in private) only very few in govt sector sometimes they consider btech students maybe their is alot of scope in developed countries who spend money in this feild devolping countries dont spend a lot in this regard

33. Amanda Gonzales

December 29, 2015 at 6:56 am

This is pretty much the only thing I want to major in but I've never cared for or been strong in math or science. :/

34. Serena Li

January 7, 2016 at 10:41 pm

ive been really thinking about becoming an environmental engineer ever since last year i think because i have a strong passion for the environment and i excel at science and math and after watching this video it only encouraged my decision further because this is exactly what i want to do. thanks for the video!!!

35. Geder Mena

January 24, 2016 at 7:09 am

Well done, very inspirational video! I love my major

36. Matt B

February 4, 2016 at 5:45 am

I was considering it until I saw this video

37. ukhio

February 9, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I love chemistry but not sure if I like leaving city everytime. I rather prefer being and working in a city… would I be wrong if I go for this career?

38. Britney Mendoza

February 22, 2016 at 4:19 pm

ayyy lmao

39. Wilken TV

February 23, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Great video! We watched it in science class.

40. jayesh shrivastava

May 9, 2016 at 4:58 am

very inspirational video…..

41. eunice maina

May 26, 2016 at 11:21 am

Great video. This is where I aspire to be. My passion is water and Environmental Engineering.

42. J C

May 28, 2016 at 5:57 pm

thanks for reaffirming my future career choice! three more years to go:)

43. Elizabeth Roberts

February 14, 2017 at 10:57 am

Thank you for such a motivating and inclusive video. And thank you for featuring women in the field. It gives me hope 🙂

44. Cody Patino

February 25, 2017 at 8:57 am

I'm sorry but i could never fully trust tap water.

45. 91dgross

March 12, 2017 at 9:53 am

wow. very inspiring. for someone seeking a life where i can be more fulfilled this definitely creates a strong pull

46. YeshuaJesusis King

April 11, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Is there environmental engineers that help Animals?

47. Ailish 94

April 24, 2017 at 4:05 am

She's so admirable.so inspired

48. *OH MAN I JUST SAID*

August 22, 2017 at 10:39 am

How much is the salary?

49. David Green

September 11, 2017 at 9:55 pm

I have watched this video though first lego league anybody else?

50. Jake Arriola

October 2, 2017 at 5:53 am

Awesome video. You're so cool! Can't get much better than a job that gets you outside!

51. Brandy Spain

January 3, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Awesome

52. Nelson Gurung

March 14, 2018 at 5:04 pm

I am from Kathmandu University, Nepal, who is recently studying environmental engineering (1st year). Few days back, heard someone saying this engineering is of no use. Kind Of felt bad. But this video really boosted up my confidence. Thankyou!! Gonna shut everyone's mouth becoming an environmental engineer, who call it waste of time

53. Jose Angel

April 24, 2018 at 3:03 am

I am Ing environmental every days recover 1000 meter cubiscs of water grettings from México

54. Crlo Maglalang

July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Wow😯😯😯
    I also wanted to be an environmental engineer

55. tushar dagade

August 12, 2018 at 3:41 am

I am doing msc in environment science so what are government job opportunities suggest me

56. JDBenabides

August 20, 2018 at 1:47 am

Why is the editing on this video so choppy and quick? I feel like I'm watching a K-pop music video. She's a cool lady though : )

57. transdata 303

September 8, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Awesome!

58. Shivam Vasudev

January 17, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Hlo ma'am how can I contact with you… I m also Master's in environment

59. Ashebir Zipf

February 14, 2019 at 3:51 pm

uh boring

60. Losi

February 20, 2019 at 5:03 am

Thank you for this informative video!

61. Chakshika Garg

July 26, 2019 at 5:22 am

If anyone is doing environmental engineering at UNBC can u give me more tips about it I just wanna be more prepared about moving to UNBC

62. Yoana Batres

July 29, 2019 at 7:52 am

I would love to do this. Struggling to choose my major from business/accounting. Definitely want to be an environmental engineer