Cultivating Citizenship (Elementary) – Deep Learning

As an educator at st. Michael’s School, I’ve seen the students truly embrace what it means to be a good citizen. In God’s eyes everyone deserves the same thing everyone is worth the same amount no one is worth more than anyone else. I’ve had the pleasure of listening to students enthusiastically share their stories of the things that they’ve done for the community of Fitzroy Harbour This culture of good citizenship and compassion that the students have created has resulted in them wanting to do something very special for Christmas this year When it is winter the socks get wrecked easy and it doesn’t really matter to us because we have so much socks and they’re very cheap because we can get them at the dollar store but to homeless people they’re like gold. After researching the various charities in Ottawa and collaborating they decided that the charity that resonated with them the most was Socks for the Homeless Now is when they are children they’re naive and innocent and they’re discovering things and I think that teaching them citizenship is vital to their growth. I don’t want to be a greedy person when I’m older and I think that they deserve a second chance. I can just see that they are going to be wonderful contributing members in our community in the future.

1. Tanya Vick

January 11, 2018 at 4:13 pm

I am so proud of our school! We are a sharing and caring community.

2. dleafloor1

January 11, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Tanya Vick is an outstanding teacher and such a wonderful role model for the students of St Michael's. Sharing is Caring!!

3. Tricia Peever

January 11, 2018 at 5:19 pm

So proud of the school and Tanya Vick's continued contribution through loving leadership and guidance to the students and the community at large. Well done!

4. Erin Walin

January 11, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Well done, Tanya and kids! Proud of you all! 🙂

5. Jo-Ann Campbell

January 12, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Our two children had the terrific opportunity to be a part of Ms. Vick's classes, so many years ago. She was inspiring then and still is a bright shining light for many young hearts and minds. To teach and instill more than just the three R's is a great gift. A strong sense of community and sharing, is a necessary part of the future that these children will inherit. My hat is off to you, Ms. Vick…you are a beautiful soul. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do, in the lives of our children, our families and our community.

6. Brittany Droeske

January 15, 2018 at 12:35 pm

This is amazing! great job St. Michaels, and Tanya Vick!! Made me so proud As a community member and a mother of a student at St. Michaels that this is the type of influence these children are getting. well done!